Should I invest in a town of 56,000?

Hi everyone,

I received an inheritance overseas, and after some investigation found that I can't get a mortgage in that country, but found a town with good yields in which I can buy a house with cash.

But then I heard that it's a bad idea to invest in a town that's less than 100,000 people. This town has 56,000. I know the Robs always say fundamentals are important, and I think the fundamentals are ok in this town. What do people think? Is it a bad idea to invest in a town with less than 100,000?

Hi @amariino

As you say, the fundamentals are a very important aspect of researching any potential investment prospect. So while 56,000 isn't the hugest population, if this town has great accessibility (as well as the other fundamentals) it's still worth considering.

It's also worth looking at what the future of this town looks like. Does it benefit from lots of internal investment, is it close to any thriving cities and could therefore benefit from the ripple effect? Looking a little further outside the town is equally as important as the town itself.

I'd give this episode of the Property Podcast a listen to learn a little more about how smaller cities can benefit from close proximity to larger cities as a first step.

Mark

Mark Rocks
Community Builder and Content Writer

www.propertyhub.net

01_original.png

On 2/11/2021 at 2:12 PM, amariino said:

But then I heard that it's a bad idea to invest in a town that's less than 100,000 people. This town has 56,000. I know the Robs always say fundamentals are important, and I think the fundamentals are ok in this town. What do people think? Is it a bad idea to invest in a town with less than 100,000

The number of people in a town is a very crude way to choose a place to invest. If you have a small town, close to a city with lots of employers, then great. Is the town well connected by rail and bus? 

Are there schools and hospitals nearby? Are there lots of shops? 

These fundamentals are more important than the number of people in the town 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/