New to Property Investment - Southampton Area

Hi everyone, I’m Elliott.

I’m a newbie to property investment but am 100% committed to building a passive income for me and my wife that will give us more time to do the things we love.  

I made the decision to return to education as a mature student and graduated from Portsmouth Uni last year with a degree in Property Development which gave me a great ‘textbook’ insight into property investment, so I am now trying to absorb as much ‘real life’ information from podcasts, books and the PropertyHub as possible.

Living down in Southampton, my short term strategy is to initiate a Rent to Rent portfolio to help build a cash pot for my own investing.  

Long term my goal is to steadily build a portfolio of BTL and HMO properties to replace my salary as a Construction Manager.  

Appreciate this isn’t the most exciting introduction as I have no properties to my name, but I am keen, eager and love talking all things property.  

I’m new to the forum but if anyone has any advise or hints for starting out, particularly regarding Rent to Rent or investing in or around Southampton area, I would love to hear from you.  

Many thanks, Elliott.

Hi there @elliott_c

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for giving such a detailed introduction, too :)

I'm sure our Hubbers with experience in Southampton will be more than happy to share tips, but i'd also recommend listening to this episode of the Property Podcast on Rent-to-rent; https://propertyhub.net/podcast/tpp108-rent-rent-truth-behind-hype/

The Robs dive into letting you know how to approach this strategy correctly and make the most money from it, which is definitely worth your time.

Mark

Mark Rocks
Community Builder and Content Writer

www.propertyhub.net

01_original.png

Hi Elliot,

I'm more north than you in Lincolnshire, also have a family and looking to increase passive income.

I work full time as an engineer and have 5 buy to lets, first one purchased nearly 20 years ago, turning 40 this year and looking at the longer term plan and increasing our portfolio.

I've never got involved with net working or joint venture schemes but thinking I need to start being more social with property investing to make the best of it.

Interested to know about the rent to rent idea, I've been reading more on this and property sourcing; to help build up funds to purchase further buy to lets.

Regards,

Neal

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing the link to podcast.  It definitely highlights some of the risks to consider with R2R and the importance of doing your due diligence.  

If anybody has any lessons learnt or experience with R2R I would love to hear your thoughts?

Elliott

Hi Neal,

I think you’re right, networking is really important. Have you tried any other strategies or just BTLs? 

In my circumstances I would love to do a JV with an investor or somebody with experience. I am motivated and willing to do the work but currently lacking the start up funds needed to go it alone.

Regarding R2R, after reading up about it, it looks like it’s got a bad rep from being done incorrectly or unethically in the past but I think it can work if you do your due diligence and get everything in place in advance.  

I think my biggest hurdle with R2R is going to be having enough funds set aside to guarantee the rent should there be any long tenancy voids.

regards

Elliott