Hairline cracks appearing over newly plastered refurb.

Hi hubbers.

I’ve recently had a property replastered throughout by a friend in the trade, and then painted by a professional painter tradesman. The quality of the finish in both cases was very good, and I was happy with both jobs.

Whilst working on some ongoing work in the garden over the past few weeks I’ve been noticing numerous very small hairline cracks forming randomly over the walls and ceilings, in areas where the walls have been over skimmed, and on fresh sections where walls and new ceilings have been boarded alike.

Some of these cracks spider web out of others, but in all instances are no thicker than a human hair. When tapping the wall their is a difference in sound where these cracks are, which I thought meant the plaster had blown.

I called my plasterer back to look, and he said these cracks are normal, and expected, calling it settlement. He said the change in tone when knocked didn’t mean it had ‘blown’ in the traditional sense, and the plaster was still secure to the walls. He then invited me to hammer off a small section that he would replaster for free to ease my fears the plaster would fall off the walls when it was tenanted, which to his credit did not come away easily as if it had blown.

My issue is, I have 8 rooms fully plastered and painted, and even using suitable filler and painting, these fine cracks return, often in the same places. I’m concerned that tenants will be put off by this, the house is a complete refurb having had a lot of money spent on it, and I was aiming for a good rental on it to accordingly.

My wife thinks I might be overly concerned, as you have to be inspecting the walls up close to notice any of these faults, they don’t draw your attention as you walk in a room, such is their very fine nature. She also suspects the white colour draws attention to them where a darker colour would not, but we are already all decorated up now, with a kitchen and other fitments picked to suit this design.

I’m really at a crossroad as to what to do, and am even considering flipping the property on. I’ve invested heavily in this place to provide a good home for tenants willing to pay a premium for it, but also to minimise concerns on the immediate future.

Am I right to be concerned? Am I over reacting, and being over critical?

I’m very much a perfectionist by nature, I would not be happy as a tenant, paying top dollar I would expect exceptional standards to the finish of the property that I pay for, I find that once I see them I cannot unsee them, but I accept not everyone is like me.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

A6DAFEDD-70E6-47A5-83CF-62F4F9894F1A.thumb.jpeg.bb405dce2e085e17f6f630960605543a.jpeg

8C6378BB-9A6E-4169-812E-A3B9EBC73DDC.thumb.jpeg.148287a743bb328f729731b6a9449a6a.jpeg

44BBB5E8-FB91-4A5B-B3F9-F615CD40B3B1.thumb.jpeg.a8c4a2dfad719a457452b1c6e4536151.jpeg

2A48A72E-F0C6-4004-B3B8-419D3D17DA26.thumb.jpeg.412f1c553605838c87959abb5e9a7173.jpeg

B6D68BDB-9B3D-466B-8F97-DB332A35ECF2.thumb.jpeg.ee1590d9a260284a3aa4575ffefab215.jpeg

8D52EB57-9301-45E5-BE30-E6F71E5B778B.thumb.jpeg.7b1a0770699bad1b3f9741fe4d279269.jpeg

5 hours ago, alastairkennedy said:

Plaster shrinks, this looks like typical shrinkage cracking.  Rapid drying out can make it worse, and it can continue fir ~12 months. 
you can patch it up now. But if it’s only been a few months I’d expect further cracking, although the extent will diminish over time. 

Thankyou, I appreciate your thoughts.

Would you be concerned from a tenanting point of view?

My wife seems to think I should leave them with a tin of the emulsion we used and explain the situation, and that after 12-18 months we will address any imperfections when they’re likely to no longer keep appearing.

14 hours ago, matt1986 said:

Thankyou, I appreciate your thoughts.

Would you be concerned from a tenanting point of view?

My wife seems to think I should leave them with a tin of the emulsion we used and explain the situation, and that after 12-18 months we will address any imperfections when they’re likely to no longer keep appearing.

I’d tell them it’s freshly plastered and painted, is going to crack, you will be back in 12 months to redecorate when it stops.  You have given them a freshly finished building, it’s a positive.