Horizontal Cracking - Thoughts on likely cause and remedy?

Hi,

Viewing a property in a few days that has two fairly large horizontal cracks in the rear bedroom wall (see pics). It's a 3 bed semi and is an area which I don't believe has historically had any mining activity so wondering what could have caused them and what the likely remedy would be (and cost!). I've read that wall ties failing could be a cause but wondered if anyone else had come across similar cracks on properties they've refurbed and what they had to do to remedy? 

Needless to say I would of course be getting a structural engineer to inspect but just thought others on here may have come across similar with their refurbs?

Thanks

Nick

Cracks 1.png

Cracks 2.png

Cracks 3.png

• nick smith changed the title to Horizontal Cracking - Thoughts on likely cause and remedy?

Not enough information to be specific.  Need to see outside, the roof, and what cracking/damage is occurring outside.  

I assume this is first floor, if so, and there is no cracking at ground level masonry, you can almost rule out ground conditions/mining.   I’d start with the roof  - is it straight / level or visible sag / deflection - causing outward pressure on the wall plate, especially if it’s hipped on this corner.  The lower cracking, this may be symptomatic if it is the roof, but id also want to see what way the floor joists span and how that ext wall is restrained (are joist parallel to the cracked wall?).  

However, a lot of caveats with the level of information. Eg. If it’s an extension or loft conversion or non-trad, etc, you have a lot more to consider. 

On 5/4/2021 at 11:50 PM, alastairkennedy said:

Not enough information to be specific.  Need to see outside, the roof, and what cracking/damage is occurring outside.  

I assume this is first floor, if so, and there is no cracking at ground level masonry, you can almost rule out ground conditions/mining.   I’d start with the roof  - is it straight / level or visible sag / deflection - causing outward pressure on the wall plate, especially if it’s hipped on this corner.  The lower cracking, this may be symptomatic if it is the roof, but id also want to see what way the floor joists span and how that ext wall is restrained (are joist parallel to the cracked wall?).  

However, a lot of caveats with the level of information. Eg. If it’s an extension or loft conversion or non-trad, etc, you have a lot more to consider. 

Thanks Alistair, I'm viewing today so will take lots of photos and share them here. This is the aerial view and as you can see there are a few tree's close by so this could potentially be the cause I suppose...

Aeriel view.png