Tenancy Contracts

Hi everyone, 

Just after some help. One of my tenancies for a tenant is coming to an end and they have asked if they could sign up to another 12 month contract. 

I was wondering whether to go to my existing lettings agent who charge or is there any place online where i can find some agreements and then edit them.

Hope that's ok.

Thanks

On 10/11/2021 at 1:13 PM, skv1878 said:

Hi everyone, 

Just after some help. One of my tenancies for a tenant is coming to an end and they have asked if they could sign up to another 12 month contract. 

I was wondering whether to go to my existing lettings agent who charge or is there any place online where i can find some agreements and then edit them.

Hope that's ok.

Thanks

There are lots of agreements online that you can edit. Lots of people do this

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/

Hi @skv1878

Before you consider your next steps, you should first check your terms and conditions with your current estate agent.  It is a common term among estate agents (assuming the agent found the tenant for you initially) to say that you still have to pay the relevant fees to your agent, as long as the existing tenant remains in the property.  I would be surprised if your agent does not have that.

If fees are still payable, you could potentially be in a situation where you have to pay fees to the agent, but you cannot rely on them for their services (i.e. you are paying for, but not using, services).

I think you should also consider the pros and cons of having a fixed term contract compared to those of having a periodic contract.  Anyone saying to you that there is a definitive answer or any one-sided approach is just sharing emotions (with no regard to objectivity).

As a lawyer, I would say that agreements available on-line could be of very poor quality.  If you do not want to pay for an agreement, you should see what other reputable / large agent has used in terms of assured shorthold tenancy agreements and potentially adopt those agreements.  They should, at least, be okay (even though I have come across some that are quite poor), since these big agents have the resources to engage lawyers to draft / update these from time to time.

Hope these help.

For the avoidance of doubt, the above (a) does not constitute legal advice (and no lawyer-client relationship is formed in any way) and (b) is set out for your reference only.  You should seek formal legal advice for your matter.

Kerry

14 hours ago, kerry chan said:

For the avoidance of doubt, the above (a) does not constitute legal advice (and no lawyer-client relationship is formed in any way) and (b) is set out for your reference only.  You should seek formal legal advice for your matter.

Only a lawyer could write that - no offence Kerry!

Syv1878 my (emotional) advice is either let the tenancy go periodic - things change & its best not to be tied in to an agreement that you may want to end - or go back to your agent if your tenant really wants a new 12month contract, but let the tenant pick up the bill! I find that if they have to pay for the agreement they often prefer to go periodic. They may just need reassuring that you aren't going to want the property back soon.

BTW unless you agent was tenant find only I imagine they might be a bit upset by you issuing a new tenancy!

23 hours ago, julia urquhart said:

BTW unless you agent was tenant find only I imagine they might be a bit upset by you issuing a new tenancy!

I agree with you, but people do it all of the time

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/