Identifying Investment Areas

Hi, I'm Chris,

I'm an accidental LL but have always had an interest in property. Have recently decided I want to make my first property investment, to fix and flip.

However still need to decide where I would like to do this. I'm curious as to what other people look for in an investment area for a fix & flip strategy. 

I've got a number of ideas from price growth, population, crime rate, stock availability, avg. time spent on market etc. but wanted to see if I was missing any key metrics that I could look into.

Although I've gathered some of this data and started to put it all onto a visual map of County areas. I'm planning to also utilise Property Data .co.uk as well as I know they have a vast amount of useful data on there too.

Any pointers on investment area criteria would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, CJohnston13 said:

Hi, I'm Chris,

I'm an accidental LL but have always had an interest in property. Have recently decided I want to make my first property investment, to fix and flip.

However still need to decide where I would like to do this. I'm curious as to what other people look for in an investment area for a fix & flip strategy. 

I've got a number of ideas from price growth, population, crime rate, stock availability, avg. time spent on market etc. but wanted to see if I was missing any key metrics that I could look into.

Although I've gathered some of this data and started to put it all onto a visual map of County areas. I'm planning to also utilise Property Data .co.uk as well as I know they have a vast amount of useful data on there too.

Any pointers on investment area criteria would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris

Your looking to flip. What’s wrong with where you live that means your mapping sites all round the county? 

having done a few light refurbs and one chunkier refurb close to home in the last 12 months..if your planning on doing any monitoring / management yourself it will be a nightmare being away from home. Ours were 5miles away and I felt like I was there many times a week 

Hi Ayns,

Thanks for your response and advice.

I am planning on investing close to where I live for the reason you mentioned as I'm looking to flip. But I wanted to establish and understand whether my area is good for investment, as opposed to say an area which might give better opportunity but is an extra 5 miles down the road. Is it worth it type thing. So have been looking at the county areas around me, so not the whole country.

But its also just an interest of what others look for in an investment area and what they consider the main metrics to look for etc. But know that everyone is different.

Great work on the 3 refurbs. Where there any key metrics you looked for in the vicinity that made you settle for a location 5 mile away?

Thanks.