Tenant asking permission to own cat

Hello , can i ask your experience on this subject. My new tenant (3 month into a 12 months tenancy) is asking permission to bring in pet - a cat.

She acknowledged the property was advertised as ‘no pets allowed’

Has anyone got experience dealing with case such as this?

14 minutes ago, ng- said:

Hello , can i ask your experience on this subject. My new tenant (3 month into a 12 months tenancy) is asking permission to bring in pet - a cat.

I had a tenant with a cat in my furnished flat. Never again. Clawed on the furniture, there was hair in the blinds that was impossible to fully remove... 

In your case, you're lucky she's asking permission. Ultimately, what are you going to do if she brings a cat in and doesn't tell you? By the time you found out and tried to evict her, her 12 month tenancy would be up... Sounds like she's responsible and doing the right thing, so that's good! 

Note there is legislation around banning pets or asking for larger pet deposits, but I'm not across it. Take a look into it first before you provide your response (if you're inclined to say no, but up to you really). 

31 minutes ago, Sam_F3 said:

I had a tenant with a cat in my furnished flat. Never again. Clawed on the furniture, there was hair in the blinds that was impossible to fully remove... 

In your case, you're lucky she's asking permission. Ultimately, what are you going to do if she brings a cat in and doesn't tell you? By the time you found out and tried to evict her, her 12 month tenancy would be up... Sounds like she's responsible and doing the right thing, so that's good! 

Note there is legislation around banning pets or asking for larger pet deposits, but I'm not across it. Take a look into it first before you provide your response (if you're inclined to say no, but up to you really). 

Thanks @Sam_F3 i haven't responded yet. wanted to be sure i research my options before responding to her

4 hours ago, ng- said:

How expensive is your furniture? If it's a little old, then you have little to lose by saying yes

Small damages can be claimed from the deposit

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/

many thanks for sharing your thoughts. its a single let:  a lady with two children - 2 bed house, unfurnished. has carpets throughout

i have read through some of the articles referencing the legislation around pets and tenant's rights etc. If i can't say 'NO' without reasonable 'reason' and if I can't charge more in deposit (5 wks deposit already taken ), can i take a non refundable fee to deflea and professionally clean the property when the tenant moves out? 

i dont want to increase rent in the middle of contract. I am trying  not to be an A'hole. does anyone have info regarding charging a fee (upfront) for professional cleanup + deflea when the  tenancy ends?

Last time I had this. I didn't have an issue, but as I had put new carpets down I said an increased deposit was needed ( I think £100 ) and an increase in rent to cover the additional wear and tear, which I think was £25. After mentioning this, they seemed less interesting in getting this £25 ( they told me ) Cat. Who knows what they were going to do with said cat when £300 VET bill comes in !!!

My places are now unfurnished, so it's less of a problem. I did have one place where (expensive) and they didn't ask, furnished with leather sofa's ect and they didn't get their deposit back. I knew about the cat before hand as my spy neighbours would always tell me !!

19 minutes ago, ng- said:

many thanks for sharing your thoughts. its a single let:  a lady with two children - 2 bed house, unfurnished. has carpets throughout

i have read through some of the articles referencing the legislation around pets and tenant's rights etc. If i can't say 'NO' without reasonable 'reason' and if I can't charge more in deposit (5 wks deposit already taken ), can i take a non refundable fee to deflea and professionally clean the property when the tenant moves out? 

i dont want to increase rent in the middle of contract. I am trying  not to be an A'hole. does anyone have info regarding charging a fee (upfront) for professional cleanup + deflea when the  tenancy ends?

I am almost 100% certain that you can charge for professional cleaning to remove all trace of pets. I would not ask for the money upfront as this could be construed as a deposit, rather, agree the variation to the tenancy in writing, i.e. tenant agrees to pay for professional cleaning etc, and you deduct the money from the deposit if she doesn't pay for it...

1 hour ago, Sam_F3 said:

I am almost 100% certain that you can charge for professional cleaning to remove all trace of pets. I would not ask for the money upfront as this could be construed as a deposit, rather, agree the variation to the tenancy in writing, i.e. tenant agrees to pay for professional cleaning etc, and you deduct the money from the deposit if she doesn't pay for it...

That is a really good suggestion. When tenants get to the end of a let, they just want to get out. When they see they need to pay for a clean as well they complain. However, when they are hungry for the house, then they will pay. This is a super good suggestion. Also means you can instruct your own contractor, as opposed to the tenant who asks there friend who cleans. Then you have the argument about the quality of the Job, only to find the friend hoovered the lounge and thought that was it !!!

The Tenant Fees Act bans any service that has a cost attached to it so you cannot ask for a professional clean to be done only that the property is cleaned 'to a professional standard'. The problem with fleas is they may not show up for several weeks after the tenants have left & you have no way of getting them to pay.

You can slo only take a deposit. of 5 weeks - which I hope you already have.

You could say 'Yes - but the rent will be £25 pcm more in order to cover the extra wear & tear'.

I am still of the view that 3 months in to a no pet tenancy it is unreasonable to ask. 

If she gets one without permission then put the rent up at the earliest opportunity.

1 hour ago, Julia Urquhart said:

The Tenant Fees Act bans any service that has a cost attached to it so you cannot ask for a professional clean to be done only that the property is cleaned 'to a professional standard'. The problem with fleas is they may not show up for several weeks after the tenants have left & you have no way of getting them to pay.

You can slo only take a deposit. of 5 weeks - which I hope you already have.

You could say 'Yes - but the rent will be £25 pcm more in order to cover the extra wear & tear'.

I am still of the view that 3 months in to a no pet tenancy it is unreasonable to ask. 

If she gets one without permission then put the rent up at the earliest opportunity.

I have to ask, what is the 'earliest possible opportunity' ? Is that after 12 months from the start of the AST ?

2 hours ago, pauldavidthomas said:

I have to ask, what is the 'earliest possible opportunity' ? Is that after 12 months from the start of the AST ?

You can put it up anytime you like with the tenants agreement or once every year if you do it will a S13 notice. If they get a cat you can either say 'the rent is going up because of the cat' or you can wait for the year and just put it up by your normal amount plus a bit more for the cat. Once the have a pet they will find it difficult  to find a rental that will take them so they are unlikely to balk at your rents rise.

I would certainly be telling them that if they get a cat their rent will be higher!

Personally, I would say no. Two experiences (both on private rentals in £700 pcm range):

1) Tenant (of unfurnished property) brought in cat when part way through long standing tenancy. Tenant had money problems at the end and vanished 1 month before end. Cat had clawed wallpaper and doors, soiled carpet. Cue £2000 redecoration / carpets renewal (costs not recovered) and 2 month void.

2)Tenants (again unfurnished property, brand new refurbishment) applied to No Pets property, actively hiding that they have 2 dogs. Existence of pets found at 6 month point at agency inspection. Increased wear and tear on brand new refurb due to dogs. S21 immediately issued, unclear if tenants will leave at expiry of notice. Lawyers on standby. Unclear if extra cleaning / damage costs will be recoverable without court action.

If you decide to move forward, maybe a "pet rent" of c.£50/ month could mitigate any additional wear and tear expected at the end?

One thing you need to check is what your AST says. If you / your letting agent used the Government template (highly unlikely as I don't know anyone who does) then you can't do a blanket ban on pets. If you've used a different one then it should be OK. I think it would be reasonable to say it was advertised as no pets so she needs to wait until the end of the 12 month tenancy. Two of my lets have tenants with a single dog in each. I charge £20 extra per month as we can no longer take a pet deposit.

Currently have a couple in a 2 bed apartment who requested to have a cat about 3 years ago. I agreed on the condition that they pay for any wear and tear on completion of contract and had this included in to their tenancy contract. Obviously I won’t know how this will turn out until they actually do leave but the fact that I still have them in and have shown some kind of cooperation I feel lends itself to developing a good relationship with your tenants and being flexible so that both parties get something out of it.