Buy to let in Manchester

I'm looking into buying a 1 or 2 bedroom flat in Manchester . I'm based in London and to be quite honest I can just about place the city in a map . Would anyone with experience in investing in Manchester be so kind and throw me some areas that you think may provide good rental yields or potential for capital growth ?

It would be my first buy to let and I would target young professionals or a family.

Thanks a million ,

Silvina

• 4 months later...

Hi Silvina,

I would be happy to help but it would be good to get an understanding of what your budget is. Obviously you don't need to be specific. There are some fantastic opportunities up here for both capital growth and great yields but they don't always go hand in hand.

Generally for capital growth I would look south west manchester, but if it high rental yields you are after I would suggest taking advantage of the student rental market.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Debs,

Do you mind me asking which parts of South Manchester as this is where I live myself (Withington / Didsbury) border.

There is quite a few potential areas in South Manchester some which offer good capital growth whereas other areas would be preferred for yields.

We also rent properties for our network of corporate clients dependent on area so this could be a potential option for purchase and rental.

Chris's details are 07703345632 and if you let him know you know me he will be more than willing to provide some advice also.

Kind regards

Andrew

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Silvina and Newbie,

I am a full time investor / landlord currently based in North London. I lived in South Manchester for 12 years and am beginning to buy property there. I am focusing mostly on and around media city, Salford Quays, Whalley Range and the student hotspots of Hulme, Rusholme, Fallowfield, Withington. 

The key thing for me is to carefully manage a pipeline of properties, view as many as possible and form good relationships with the estate agents. Auctions are not my area of expertise, but I'm sure there are deals to be had there if you know what you are looking for. 

Happy to help. 

Nick 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I should have around £100k to invest and I'm looking at Manchester or maybe Liverpool.

I'm based in Kent and in addition to having a full time job, I have sick parents in Northamptonshire and in laws in Spain, so I'm very time poor!  Any sourcing agents or potential mentors that people could recommend in the Manchester or Liverpool area would be great.

Thanks

Jo

• 2 years later...
On 4/8/2017 at 3:35 AM, nikork said:

Hi Silvina and Newbie,

I am a full time investor / landlord currently based in North London. I lived in South Manchester for 12 years and am beginning to buy property there. I am focusing mostly on and around media city, Salford Quays, Whalley Range and the student hotspots of Hulme, Rusholme, Fallowfield, Withington. 

The key thing for me is to carefully manage a pipeline of properties, view as many as possible and form good relationships with the estate agents. Auctions are not my area of expertise, but I'm sure there are deals to be had there if you know what you are looking for. 

Happy to help. 

Nick 

Hi Nick, 

I'm looking at the media city and Salford Quay too, but what I noticed is that there are quite a lot of new supply these days in this area. 

Are you not worried about the oversupply? or this is not a concern to you?

for example, I think X1 has some huge development on this island just to the south of Salford Quay which looks quite appealing, but even themselves are developing 5-7 blocks of high rise buildings, the supply will be scary once all those are completed I guess, and all those properties look identical for someone sitting in front of a PC... hence I'm worried and have these question. 

Thanks for your insights!

Elva

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elva, I don't believe there is an over supply of apartments in Manchester. I think there is an under supply of high quality apartments. If you want to buy, try to buy the very best units you can afford. That is where there is most scarcity and that is where will feel the strongest capital growth in the long term. 

Regards

Nick - smarterproperty.net

Hi,

I'm also looking into this as a first time BTL investor - I'm looking at Media City, Salford and Manchester City Centre.

Would be great to get your thoughts on the following developments:

- X1 Media City - appealing but the sizes are small, also worried about the potential upcoming competition which may mean that these apartments lose their appeal

- X1 The Landmark - closer to the city centre and completion date, but not familiar with the area (Oldfield Road, 5 mins from Spinningfields) or the contractor

- Local Blackfriars - Greengate, close to Salford Central

- Regent Plaza

Many thanks