rob bence

What topics would you like us to cover on The Property Podcast?

Hi Everyone,

Rob and I have put together nearly 50 episodes of The Property Podcast and many of the topics we've covered have been suggestions from you, the listeners.

We have a big list of topics we want to cover but we want to make sure you're getting the topics you want.

So our question is....

What topics would you like us to cover on the podcast? 

You may have already covered these (sorry if I missed them):

• The process (advantages and disadvantages) of extending a lease
  • What to do if your management company is bloody useless

Also, an episode on "rules of thumb" might be quite interesting. Never borrow more than X% of Y. Always look for yields of Z%. etc etc.

Hi Rob

Slightly off topic but I’ve come across a great bit of software call https://www.propertyhawk.co.uk/    it’s free to download, I've been using it for a over a month now and really like it, it's got some really useful features also it portable being web based.

Just a thought maybe it was a good resource of the week.

Regards

Andy Brown

Slightly off topic but I’ve come across a great bit of software call https://www.propertyhawk.co.uk/    it’s free to download, I've been using it for a over a month now and really like it, it's got some really useful features also it portable being web based.

Thanks Andy! We're always looking for Resource of the Week suggestions.

Property Hawk was mentioned somewhere else on the Hub and I've had a brief look as a result, but I'll check it out further as you recommend it. I don't need much of an excuse to poke around with new software!

Hi Guys

I'm interested in your advice on what to do once you've bought your property and the tenants are in.

• Investor/landlord's responsibilities
  • Annual checks
  • Increasing the rent
  • Is your agent doing a good job
  • Dealing with problem tenants
  • Landlord insurance?
  • etc.

Here are a few forums that have started discussing this sort of thing.

Landlord Legal and Commercial Checklist

Renting out a property checklist!

Should I take out rental guarantee insurance?
Landlord Property Management Software

You're doing our job for us Andy! Love it - those are on the list.

Another suggestion I had by email yesterday was "When and how to sell a property" - questioning the idea that it's always best to buy and hold forever. I think that'll be a controversial one when we do it...

Episode 50 could be your personal property highs and lows.

Best investment

Worst investment

First investment

Lowest moment

Highest moment

Funniest moments

Worst tenants

And so on and so on

I love this idea and it's now on our list.

We already have something very special planned for episode 50!

How about the downside?

There is a period, when you start out when you only have a couple of properties, when if one goes really bad, you might not have enough cash flow to keep all the plates spinning and it is very possible for a repossession and subsequent fire sale to rip thru all you have.

And even when you are up and running with a large portfolio, what if you lose the support of your lender and they bring it all crashing down.

What ways are there to protect against these things (bearing in mind how easy it is for for insurance companies to evade paying out especially if you get hit with a big clawback)..

Hi Rob & Rob,

Great 50th podcast - good luck with Yellow Lettings.

I would like a podcast on buying at auction please :-

Proxy bidding, surveying the property beforehand, checking legal documentation prior to the auction. Tips on how to position yourself at auctions - what works what doesn't - offers prior to the auction etc

The other area that I think may help - is the dreaded tenant eviction process ( section 8 ,20's court proceedings etc ) - just writing this is making my heart race !!

You sound like you have a pretty full agenda already but inspired by a thread on here about exit strategies I thought it might be nice to talk about the different approaches & strategies (and possibly also the mindset?) of an investor through the key stages of their property investment journey:

Acquisition & growth - say the first 5-10 years

Consolidation - say the next 10 years

Exit - say the next 5 years or so

A lot of the content to date will largely fall into the first two categories no doubt but I was thinking about things like refinancing to further expand vs paying down debt, selling up vs. leaving a legacy / transfer of assets, inheritance tax planning vs. sailing into the sunset and all that sort of stuff...might not fit the general listener profile but I am sure it would suit some and may even open up the audience a little further too ;)

Needless to say - all really good stuff, so keep up the great work!

Hi there,

I'd like to hear more information about property cycles. Its been alluded to and I understand boom and bust times, but I'd really like to hear what you think is the best course of action at any given time, how to spot that we're moving from one phase to the next etc

Thanks! =)

Has BMV been covered on podcasts yet?

I don't think I've ever come across a BMV deal in my life. Then again I've only got Zoopla at my disposal, I assume BMV deals come from networking.

Has BMV been covered on podcasts yet?

I don't think I've ever come across a BMV deal in my life. Then again I've only got Zoopla at my disposal, I assume BMV deals come from networking.

Spooky timing, I have just finished creating a course on the above for the Property Hub.

If you can't wait till then or if you're not in the plus section you can get an audio guide I created on the subject here.

Hi guys,

Hope this is the right spot for a 'resource of the week' suggestion?

I have started using SoundGecko recently and don't think it's been mentioned on the podcast before. It fits alongside any podcast software you may be using to keep you entertained on the commute / in the gym!

Quite simply, it turns any web based articles into an audio file for you to listen to, instead of reading them. It's fantastic for following blogs and regularly updated article sites that I struggle to find the time to sit down and read!

There's a free and paid version, the difference appears to be the word count limit on the free service. You can also download a plugin for your web browser, which allows you to add articles to your device in an instant. 

Highly recommended :-)

Hope this is the right spot for a 'resource of the week' suggestion?

I have started using SoundGecko recently and don't think it's been mentioned on the podcast before. It fits alongside any podcast software you may be using to keep you entertained on the commute / in the gym!

Wow, that sounds great - I'll give it a try, although at the moment my listening backlog is longer than my reading backlog!

Thank you for the suggestion - always appreciated, so keep them coming!

A couple of suggestions for the podcast, which is great by the way.

1 Property Mentors, how to find, use and benefit from a mentor

2 Top Property web sites, you are not allowed to mention the truly obvious!

3 Top sources for keeping up to date with the property market

Hi Rob and Rob. Every week you manage to come up with another tremendous podcast which always teaches me something new and leaves a smile on my face after hearing your hilarious banter! I'd listen to you both discussing the merits if watching paint dry, however, having thoroughly enjoyed 'Beyond the Bricks', would love to hear more interviews with successful property investors of all ages and stages in life. Of particular interest would be how those who 'never sell' have experienced releasing equity in later life when they are no longer employed and at an age when remortgaging may be not so easy to achieve. I do believe in not 'killing the goose that lays the golden eggs' by selling a property, however, would like to know more about this 'until death us do part' strategy please? Many thanks! Graeham

A couple of suggestions for the podcast, which is great by the way.

1 Property Mentors, how to find, use and benefit from a mentor

2 Top Property web sites, you are not allowed to mention the truly obvious!

3 Top sources for keeping up to date with the property market

Great suggestions Chris, we've added those to the list!

Hi Rob and Rob. Every week you manage to come up with another tremendous podcast which always teaches me something new and leaves a smile on my face after hearing your hilarious banter! I'd listen to you both discussing the merits if watching paint dry, however, having thoroughly enjoyed 'Beyond the Bricks', would love to hear more interviews with successful property investors of all ages and stages in life. Of particular interest would be how those who 'never sell' have experienced releasing equity in later life when they are no longer employed and at an age when remortgaging may be not so easy to achieve. I do believe in not 'killing the goose that lays the golden eggs' by selling a property, however, would like to know more about this 'until death us do part' strategy please? Many thanks! Graeham

What a great first post, thank you! Please do review the podcast on iTunes if you haven't already so we can read it out :)

We've had an "options later in life" episode on the list for a long time now...it would make a good topic, so we'll get there eventually!