Beyond The Bricks - discuss the book here!

At the back of Beyond The Bricks I promised a thread in the Hub where we could talk about it and ask questions - so here it is!

Note: This thread isn't to fish for praise for the book - just to discuss the lessons and stories within it!

• What was the biggest lesson you took away from the book?
  • Which investor would you most like to replicate the performance of?
  • Do you have any questions after reading it?

Everyone seems to resonate with a different story, so I'll be very interested to hear what everyone thinks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

Just finished the book which I really enjoyed - It got me thinking a lot about the speed of property investing. It seemed to me a number of the interviewers felt they had tried to expand their portfolio to quickly and perhaps took their eye of the ball ? do you agree ?

I have recently felt as though I have expanded to slowly but after reading the book i'm not so sure. Personally I liked Arsh Ellahi story the most. He over came some big challenges with direct payment which resulted in finely tuned system, with LHA that's impressive - just brilliant. Also loved Matt Smith knocking off 2 noughts to calculate rent and decide whether a property is worth investing - simples.

I have not been able to leave a review on iTunes but have on amazon.  

mark-morris.jpg

The Manchester Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

Hi Rob,

Just finished the book which I really enjoyed - It got me thinking a lot about the speed of property investing. It seemed to me a number of the interviewers felt they had tried to expand their portfolio to quickly and perhaps took their eye of the ball ? do you agree ?

I have recently felt as though I have expanded to slowly but after reading the book i'm not so sure. Personally I liked Arsh Ellahi story the most. He over came some big challenges with direct payment which resulted in finely tuned system, with LHA that's impressive - just brilliant. Also loved Matt Smith knocking off 2 noughts to calculate rent and decide whether a property is worth investing - simples.

I have not been able to leave a review on iTunes but have on amazon.  

Thank you so much for the review Mark, and for sharing your thoughts on here.

I think it's fair to say that a few people probably feel they went too far too fast, and I suppose that's where there's an element of survivorship bias in the book: a heck of a lot of people were taking advantage of conditions to scale rapidly around that time, and I just happened to interview the ones who were smart enough to realise what was happening and come out the other side without losing it all.

Great to hear your favourite chapter too - I love how everyone has a different one. Arsh is seriously impressive: he's systemised the seemingly impossible to great effect!

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

Just wanted to say after reading beyond the bricks I was really keen to see Arsh Ellahi. I found out he was speaking at a property meeting in Manchester - so I bought a ticket. I remembered on one of the Podcaster both Rob B and yourself said if you really want to meet somebody - offer to buy them dinner and ask for some sound advice. So I mailed Arsh the day before not expecting to hear anything. However he very kindly responded and we met for something to eat prior to the event. I got some great advice from Arsh and he was such a down to earth person. I would recommend anybody from the Podcast who hasn't seen him to go to one of his talks or seminars.

Thanks Rob and Rob for the advice and if you ever fancy lunch in Manchester - please give me a shout !!

mark-morris.jpg

The Manchester Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

Mark, well done on taking action like that - love it! Arsh is a great bloke: his business seems to involve herding cats on an industrial scale, but somehow he's got it down to the finest of arts.

• 1 year later...

Received my link today - Many thanks Rob.

Only 25 mins in after my commute this morning and loving the format already. I'll leave a full review when I've finished.

Rich

That's brilliant, thanks Richard - I hope it's making your commute more bearable!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I really enjoyed this book, it is my favourite of your series.

I am not sure that I could select a favourite example. The guys doing rent to rent (Bradford I think?) sounded impressive, I love the cheekiness of it all! I also enjoyed the example of the chap who was in the forces who built up portfolio's in Germany and Scotland. I am not in the forces but I do work in the public sector and aspire to escape the rat race through, in part at least, property investment , so his example was inspiring.

I have lent this book to a couple we know who are thinking of investing in property. Alongside property investment for beginners I thought it would be quite inspiring for them to see how far it could go but also with some balance around some experiences people had that were not so good.

All in all a fantastic book.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I purchased the book via Audible and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Sometimes it feels as if you're the only ones buying buy-to-let properties so I felt in good company.

It would be nice (if there is a follow up book) to have an expat buy-to-let landlord interviewed.  I'm sure there is a large following for the book and podcasts from the UAE and Doha.

My husband and I specifically moved to the Middle East to be in a position to save large deposits for our buy-to-let portfolio; our end goal being to secure a rental income to retire from.

Its working well and we plan to retire in 3 years.  There is another way to reach your goals in life - its just a matter of finding the best way for you.   Its a big world our there and happily some of it pays in tax free income! 

As long as you have a good letting agent and help on the ground sourcing properties its relatively easy and fast to build up a large portfolio over a 10 year period. 

LJP.

My husband and I specifically moved to the Middle East to be in a position to save large deposits for our buy-to-let portfolio; our end goal being to secure a rental income to retire from.

Its working well and we plan to retire in 3 years.  There is another way to reach your goals in life - its just a matter of finding the best way for you.   Its a big world our there and happily some of it pays in tax free income! 

As long as you have a good letting agent and help on the ground sourcing properties its relatively easy and fast to build up a large portfolio over a 10 year period. 

LJP.

That's exactly it - there are a million different ways of achieving anything (in property and beyond), and I love talking to people who've thought it through and found the best route towards their goals, even if unconventional.

I could write 10 follow-ups to Beyond The Bricks and not have two stories the same. But I won't, because it was exhausting :)