Ask An Architect- free advice for anyone interested!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone,    I am an Architect, and would love to answer any questions you have on planning, design, construction etc etc.    I am starting a blog called AskAnArchitect, and will feature the an

Great question,    The most common mistake of newbie developers is definitely biting off more than they can chew.   Without this sounding too much like a pitch, the way to avoid this is to consult

Damian,    Thanks for the question- really great one.    There are 2 main reasons why I would advise using an Architect for PD developments:  1) Even when works are covered by Permitted Developme

Posted Images

On 9/20/2020 at 4:35 AM, kr4sc said:

I have a question about faux beams for a livingroom and bedroom. What size, what configuration so the look like they are structural and not fake. 

20200903_170415.jpg

20200903_170413.jpg

20200903_170410.jpg

Hi there!

It really depends on what style you are looking for - this exposed truss could work well with the flattened part of the pitch that you have: image.png.322aa443a133da9ad5fe39d746bfbd37.png

but if you are looking for something easier to install I would suggest this configuration spanning across the entire ceiling: 

image.png.95e657a3a383096d701c84a6d39b4d5d.png

for spacing & size, perhaps size 203x133 at 600mm centres might look nice! Would love to see how you get on. 

Best, Is

I was leaning towards collar tie type of beams about 16' wide in a 6"x10".  These would go across the room about a foot down from the top of the ceiling.  Does that sound like it would work?  I like what you are showing also.  thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/5/2016 at 2:56 PM, oli_lowrie said:

Hi everyone, 

I am an Architect, and would love to answer any questions you have on planning, design, construction etc etc. 

I am starting a blog called AskAnArchitect, and will feature the answers on the blog too. 

Kind Regards, 

Oli

Hi there Oli, we struggling to plan the below development so would absolutely love some pointers. We are keen to know if you feel there is a use for the garage. The downstairs lacks a utility area and the hallway is fairly dark-but we aren't too sure how to reconfigure.  The back of the property has an enlarged kitchen - an older extension (done okay ish) but we were hoping to maybe extend out the back.. the question is Olly, is this feasible ? We would be hugely grateful for any pointers! BW Sarah :))

IMG_3667.png

Hi Oli,

Firstly, that's very nice of you to offer advice like this, often I find a need for impartial advice and alway have to pay for it. 

I've sent you an e-mail about the issues I am dealing with currently. as no one tends to reply on this forum.

Kind regards

Gareth