andrew martins tonks

Converting Houses to Flats

There's a lot of excitement and information regarding commercial to residential conversions. I'm looking at potentially getting into this but am also thinking of looking into developing large (4+ bedroom) houses into flats. 

Does anybody have any experience of this and what are the key things to look out for?

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for the replies guys. I can see planning be the main issue. I'm potentially looking at large houses in London as there is a shortage of affordable housing in London so splitting these up into 1-2 bed flats seems like a good way of helping people out and creating more homes within people's reach.

I guess having other similar properties on the road which have been converted is a good indicator with regards to planning permission?

In my area (midlands) i can simply search the council's planning database for previous applications and they give a very good idea of what gets thriugh and what doesn't, Things like parking and size of living space are key but it may well be different priorities in london..