nick stott

Personal Goals

It's 1st May already, not no long now until the Chester Half!  How's the training going??

I've had a bit of an injury set back.  We went to Scotland at Easter to run the West Highland Way over 3 days (40miles, 32miles, 23miles).  About 25 miles in on day one my Achilles injury flared up and running turned into walking.  We still had 15 miles to go to the campsite so I decided to stop, have a beer and hitch a ride, whilst Sarah ran on her own.  I completed the next two days by running a bit slower & walking the steeper climbs and used a bus to cut day 2 down to about 20 miles.  I've since decided to focus on getting my Achilles sorted ASAP and have therefore withdrawn from the Kintyre Way Ultra and the West Highland Way race.  I'll support Sarah in the WHW and perhaps run the last section with her.

On more positive news, I am now a tri-athlete!  We completed the York Sprint Triathlon last weekend, and it took me 1:21:46.  Sarah's superior cycling meant that she beat me by 36 seconds.  We have signed up for the Driffield Sprint Triathlon, which is on the same day as the Chester Half, and I intend work on my bike skills!

andy-norman.jpg
The Leeds Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here
@andyn180

Hi all!

Damien: are you doing the Chester half then? It's a shame we'll be too breathless to talk during the run, and then I'm shooting off to day 2 of the Rugby League Magic Weekend at The Etihad straight after so won't be able to chat. Shame, as me and Mark (Loughnane) would love to meet you.

Andy: congrats on the progress! Although it sounds like you can't really progress any further...! Your stories astonish me.

As for me, I was seriously worried about my half marathon prep until I went out last night to do a couple of miles and ended up smashing my personal best thus far of 8.25 miles and doing 9.6 miles! Too sore for a run today so I've just been for a swim and feel tons better. Although I'm currently sat in a pub with a Guinness so it could be that...

Nick Stott

Managing Director

Homesure Property

Tel: 07758 240 799

Email: ns@homesureproperty.co.uk

Follow me on Twitter @ncstott

www.homesureproperty.co.uk

Homesure Property on Facebook

Homesure Property on Twitter

Although I'm currently sat in a pub with a Guinness so it could be that...

Nick Guiness is full of iron so definitely helpful in a training schedule IMHO.  Red wine also has many beneficial effects not least helping you forget the soreness :D Now where are my running shoes ........

Alistair Howard

Property Inventory Report Ltd

Tel: 0151 662 0060

Email: alistair@propertyinventoryreport.co.uk

Follow me on Twitter @proptyinventory

WWW.propertyinventoryreport.co.uk

I'm currently nursing an old war wound so I'm 50/50 as to whether or not to do the Chester Half in 2 weeks....  will go for a gentle plod this weekend and see how everything goes but it's looking dubious.

Nick - not meeting you and Mark could well be just the excuse I need not to bother running it!  

I missed the Liverpool meet up due to hiding in the Lake District picking up injuries, but would be interesting to meet up with you both for a lunch next time I'm back up North.  I've historically swerved Liverpool and found myself more Wirral & Chester biased, but if anyone can convince me otherwise I'm sure it's you two.  

Keep up the training and I could ask the local nutter near me if he can let you have his running gear if you'd like...  

Damien Fogg
MRICS CeMAP CeFA

Email: damien@theepinvestor.com

Web: www.theEPinvestor.com

Ha! Quite apt as they've just gone bust according to the last TPP!

Let us know if you're planning ooop North and me and Mark will try and meet up with you.

Good luck with your run this weekend. I'm aiming for an 11-miler tomorrow... :-/

Nick Stott

Managing Director

Homesure Property

Thanks Andy! Well done for not making it sound patronising considering your efforts... :-)

Am off to the first day of the Rugby League Magic Weekend today with a Tupperware box full of pasta and (hopefully) enough willpower to refrain from having a beer in the sunshine.

If, however, you reply to tell me that having a few beers the day before a half marathon is fine I WILL TAKE IT AS GOSPEL. Go on... please!!

Nick Stott

Managing Director

Homesure Property

Come on then Nick, don't keep us in suspense.  How did you do? 

I unfortunately bailed as I was unlikely to do a decent time due to injury etc., and funnily enough I can't see any joy in just running for it's own sake... maybe I'm doing it wrong. 

Damien Fogg
MRICS CeMAP CeFA

Email: damien@theepinvestor.com

Web: www.theEPinvestor.com

Morning Damien et al...

I did it in 2 hours 5 minutes. My original target was 2 hours 10 minutes (10-minute miles) but I did revise it down to trying to get under the 2-hour barrier because training was going well so pretty chuffed, but feel like I could've done better.

It was ridiculously hot (not expected!) and it was a record turnout (7,000 people!) so it wasn't the easiest setting. There were a lot of people collapsing and throwing up which wasn't overly reassuring on the way round!

However, the whole thing/idea was to be the fittest I've even been in my life by the time I turn 30 and, to be fair to myself, I have achieved that goal so am happy overall.

And the whole idea was also to ensure that I was doing myself justice professionally, I.e. I was giving myself the best chance of success by ensuring my brain is in top form due to good health. I've never been known for being particularly smart (quite rightly!), but I've still noticed a significant improvement in my ability to work both physically and mentally, as well as feeling more confident about myself and my decisions.

I know all this seems a bit deep but the half-marathon was merely a neat tool for becoming more successful.

It'd be good to keep this thread open for anyone else setting similar goals and in particular, why it is they're doing so, and what the overall goal is they're trying to achieve.

Nick Stott

Managing Director

Homesure Property

Excellent result Nick, congratulations. I see you're keen to break that 2 hour mark so no doubt you already have your eye another race!

I had similar aims as you when I started trail running in 2010. I wanted to get fit and challenge myself but also wanted to become more energised and focused at work. As the races have got longer & tougher I have became more confident & positive in all areas of my life. In an odd way, knowing I have completed a 100 mile run in the Pyrenees means that next presentation or important meeting is not as daunting as it once was.

We were having a few beers after playing football last night and one of the guys asked "at what point in your life we're you happiest?". Most responded with some point in their twenties (we're all 40ish) but a couple of us said "right now". I'm happier, healthier, wealthier, more confident about the future now than at any time that I can remember, and I've just had a major promotion at work. Much of this can be traced back to running, but perhaps that's actually because I met my gorgeous girlfriend whilst out on the trails.

Whilst you were running in Chester we completed the Driffield Sprint Triathlon. I improved my swim, bike & run times and was very pleased with 1:18:53, especially as the bike course was tougher & longer than York. Sarah also improved and this time beat me by 56 seconds! The next one is Scissett Tri, near Wakefield, on the June 8th, the bike course is a bit shorter and the run longer so I might actually beat her.

andy-norman.jpg
The Leeds Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here
@andyn180

Well done guys - when in the corporate world I used to go for a 6/8 mile run at lunchtimes, have a quick shower and back to work - I was always amazed at how much work I shifted in the afternoon and how many problems i solved during the run process.  It certainly energises you and releases the endorphynes.  I agree with Andy and go for the 'happiest now' sentiment - after all you can't go back so live for and enjoy every day

Alistair Howard

Property Inventory Report Ltd

Tel: 0151 662 0060

Email: alistair@propertyinventoryreport.co.uk

Follow me on Twitter @proptyinventory

WWW.propertyinventoryreport.co.uk

Excellent result Nick, congratulations. I see you're keen to break that 2 hour mark so no doubt you already have your eye another race!

I had similar aims as you when I started trail running in 2010. I wanted to get fit and challenge myself but also wanted to become more energised and focused at work. As the races have got longer & tougher I have became more confident & positive in all areas of my life. In an odd way, knowing I have completed a 100 mile run in the Pyrenees means that next presentation or important meeting is not as daunting as it once was.

We were having a few beers after playing football last night and one of the guys asked "at what point in your life we're you happiest?". Most responded with some point in their twenties (we're all 40ish) but a couple of us said "right now". I'm happier, healthier, wealthier, more confident about the future now than at any time that I can remember, and I've just had a major promotion at work. Much of this can be traced back to running, but perhaps that's actually because I met my gorgeous girlfriend whilst out on the trails.

Whilst you were running in Chester we completed the Driffield Sprint Triathlon. I improved my swim, bike & run times and was very pleased with 1:18:53, especially as the bike course was tougher & longer than York. Sarah also improved and this time beat me by 56 seconds! The next one is Scissett Tri, near Wakefield, on the June 8th, the bike course is a bit shorter and the run longer so I might actually beat her.

Thanks Andy. No, I haven't got my sights on another race at the moment! Currently having a week off drinking & eating all of the beer & cupcakes I got for my birthday! (I'm very easy to buy presents for...  :P ).

I reckon I'll probably do something a little different as a next challenge as I simply do not like running - sorry! It's a very quick and excuse-less type of exercise so it suited me at the time. I may do the Tough Mudder Challenge next - have you tried that?

Congrats on the Driffield Sprint Triathlon. The Scisset Tri looks like it may be a tougher challenge, especially if it's warmer. Good luck! 

Nick Stott

Managing Director

Homesure Property

Hi Nick

I don't like road running either and am impressed (amazed) that anyone would put themselves through a half marathon, let alone consider a full.

Trail running is a lot of fun though - varied terrain, mud, hills, beautiful scenery etc. I've looked at Tough Mudder type events and I'm sure I'll try one eventually but I've not done any obstacle races yet.

Scisset Tri has come round quickly and we've now been sent the race info. It turns out that the bike section has a tough hill climb followed by a fast winding downhill, so it's going to be difficult for me to beat Sarah after all. She loves the ups and I'm not confident on the downs!

andy-norman.jpg
@andyn180

Is everyone enjoying the Summer of Sport? We've just had a great weekend volunteering with the Yorkshire Dales National Park and had a great view of Le Tour. Got home in time to watch the awesome Wimbledon men's final.

The West Highland Way Race went amazingly well. Sarah smashed her 28 hour target and finished the 95 mile course in 26 hours 24 mins! I met her at the check points with food, water & encouragement and then ran the last 15 miles with her. She was amazing and even managed a sprint finish. Incredibly the winner finished in just 14hrs 20mins, breaking the course record he set last year by 47mins.

Scissett Sprint Tri back in early June also went well. The bike and run sections were much hillier than our previous events so it was a bit more challenging. Somehow Sarah managed to beat me again, this time by 40 seconds. So I'm 0-3 down now.

I have high hopes for next weekend (12th) though as we've entered our first full Olympic distance triathlon (1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run). It's being held at Ripon racecourse and the open water swim is in the lake, in the middle of the racecourse.

Not much else other than a couple of trail marathons booked after that as my Achilles is still playing up.

~ Andy Ridley: how's your fitness programme going, or is Rob B working you too hard?

~ Brian Stewart: Been to those Italian Alps yet?

~ Nick & Damian: still running? How about a tough mudder event?

~ Rob B: been to WAR yet?

Anyone else out there running/cycling/climbing/... ?

andy-norman.jpg
@andyn180

Hi Andy!

Your challenges are unreal. I simply do not know how you can possibly do them! I don't think I could do one of your events over the course of a week!

No plans to do Tough Mudder as of yet. I'm ridiculously busy with work at the moment as we have some exciting plans under way... More to come at a later date!

Also, my "week" off turned into well... since then really. Nearly 2 months later and I've only been for a handful of 5-mile runs and have been enjoying the sunshine a bit too much... It's hard to stay motivated when the old social calender ramps up when the sun comes out!

As for Le Tour, my dad is an avid cyclist and did the first stage the day before as an amateur. Took him 8 hours and, for a 65-year old, I'm both proud and devastated that he's so fit.

My previous goal was to be the fittest I've ever been by the age of 30. Now it seems that my new goal will be to try and get fitter than my dad!  :o

Good luck for this weekend!

Nick Stott

Managing Director

Homesure Property

The West Highland Way Race went amazingly well. Sarah smashed her 28 hour target and finished the 95 mile course in 26 hours 24 mins! I met her at the check points with food, water & encouragement and then ran the last 15 miles with her. She was amazing and even managed a sprint finish. Incredibly the winner finished in just 14hrs 20mins, breaking the course record he set last year by 47mins.

Just...wow. I don't even know how the things you guys do are physically possible.

I was listening to Joe De Sena being interviewed on the Tim Ferriss podcast and thought of you and Sarah - he's the founder of The Spartan Race, and seems to do even crazier things than you do! He (Joe) has a book out that you might be interested in too.

Just...wow. I don't even know how the things you guys do are physically possible.

I was listening to Joe De Sena being interviewed on the Tim Ferriss podcast and thought of you and Sarah - he's the founder of The Spartan Race, and seems to do even crazier things than you do! He (Joe) has a book out that you might be interested in too.

Thanks Rob

I've not caught up with the Tim Ferriss back catalogue yet but have now listened to this episode.  Joe is one determined guy!  I've not made it as far as adventure racing yet, but am expecting a report from Rob B anytime now about the Warrior Adrenaline Race that he was going to sign up for back in January!  Go to WAR with other Property Hub members!

The Ripon Olympic distance Triathlon was a great success.  Sarah & I were both significantly faster than we expected in the 1500m lake swim and I managed to stay ahead of her on the bike & run, to finish just 4 mins in front.  Our times weren't spectacular compared to the rest of the field but not bad for our first event at this distance.

Sarah enjoyed it so much that she as signed us up for a Half-Ironman at the end of August - 1900m river swim, 90 km bike run and half-marathon.  I've never been further than about 45 km on a bike so expect to be a bit sore after that section.

andy-norman.jpg
@andyn180

As an older gent it's really important I keep myself both mentally and physically healthy. My children are always saying I need to do more to stay fit, apparently golfing isn't quite enough. As i'm pretty much retired now and only working on my personal side projects, I plan to do more with my wife we are going to try and get away at least once every two months. I live in Brighton but rarely see the sea, I am now making and effort to go and walk along the seafront every day. 

I also want to complete the huge selection of books on my to do list. 

I'm really in awe of so many motivated athletes! I have always admired the stamina of long distance runners because my running ability is only measured in short distances. However all my life I have always chosen to run everywhere in short bursts in the town or country and have wondered why everyone wasn't running around too as it makes me feel fit and alive. Even now at the age of 65 I still run around from shop to shop although I am still very aware that hardly anyone else is doing the same.

Having built up a small portfolio of BTL's over the last ten years I am now about to embark on my latest ambition namely that of property development. I am not sure how far this journey will take me but at present I find that it is a much more exciting and satisfying alternative to retirement at the conventional age.

My personal ambition is to accumulate more money in the next ten years of my life than I have in the first 65 years which should not be impossible as I now have the assistance of a few more assets . This is majorly merely for the achievement value of the exercise because I have always lived a very frugal life and am more interested in building a legacy than releasing money to spend on cars or holidays. The most expensive car I have ever bought was less than £1,000 and I have never even been in an aeroplane. 

I would love to hear from any other Hub member who is also embarking on a career in developing. 

Hi, everyone! I am sure that everyone of us has an individual goal to be achieved in the certain period of time, let it be a week, month, year... What are those goals? Only God knows that. Without a goal, we will have nothing: personal-goals-essay.jpg