TPP201: Where to invest in 2017?

Listen to this week's episode here.

It's the 201st episode of The Property Podcast and this week we're focussing on where to invest in the UK this year. Some of them you may be expecting from us, but there's a couple of wildcards thrown in for good measure. Listen to find out more.

vicky2.jpg

I am the Community Manager at The Property Hub, and PA to Rob & Rob, drop me a line if you'd like to say hello. :)

Hi! Thanks for another interesting and informative podcast. I was interested you didn't mention a Birmingham as a place  to invest. Although it seems ahead of other cities in terms of property price growth, it seems there are areas where investment would be potentially lucrative. I would be interested in your views? Thanks. Vanessa

An interesting option to invest in 2017 is Stirling, Scotland.  The city consistently ranks as the cheapest in the UK, so it is very affordable with very high yields.  The city has good transport links, and is situated geographically well for links to the rest of Scotland.  Many people commute from Stirling to the big centres each day.  The city is a decent size, and has excellent shops, cinemas etc.  And a university.  There are a couple of recent events that should also lead to capital gains: 1 Grant money. Stirling has won millions from the Govt. to turn it into a mini-Edinburgh, plans have been approved for commercial, residential, tourist and hotel development etc.  2 Superfast broadband is being rolled out  (only Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen also have this).  (nb. I live in Stirling, and am looking at investing here in 2017).

Hello! I was glad to hear some Scottish info into last night's podcast! Especially since I have property in both Glasgow and Aberdeen! I wonder if you could share the areas recommended for investment in Glasgow for 2017-just so I can compare notes! :-) I know that East Renfrewshire has had massive growth recently and Garnethill provides one of the best yields in Scotland. Interested to hear your feedback!

On 19/01/2017 at 7:01 AM, vanessa broad said:

Hi! Thanks for another interesting and informative podcast. I was interested you didn't mention a Birmingham as a place  to invest. Although it seems ahead of other cities in terms of property price growth, it seems there are areas where investment would be potentially lucrative. I would be interested in your views? Thanks. Vanessa

Hey Vanessa,

Birmingham is strong, but we just felt there's stronger areas to invest in this year. The amount of investment in Manchester dwarfs what's going into Birmingham; although this is far from saying Birmingham is a bad place to invest - there's loads of really positive things happening there!

Cheers,

Rob

On 19/01/2017 at 9:51 PM, Jonathan J said:

Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool.....

What areas within Liverpool are favourable to invest in and why?

A lot of the properties on right move seem to be vacant when up for sale. Does this mean investors want to escape those areas..?:wacko:

Hey Jonathan,

It depends on what your goals are. If you want to play it safe, I would stick to the city centre.

Cheers,

Rob

It was great to hear Northern Ireland being mentioned as a possible place to invest as there still are bargains to be had here.

I believe the potential rental yields are still pretty high compared to most other UK areas, but not sure if the capital gains are comparable.

The main problem I have here is getting access to finance, especially through my Ltd Company as there are no Mortgage providers as of yet willing to risk their money here. :-(

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/01/2017 at 10:23 AM, KJB said:

Hello! I was glad to hear some Scottish info into last night's podcast! Especially since I have property in both Glasgow and Aberdeen! I wonder if you could share the areas recommended for investment in Glasgow for 2017-just so I can compare notes! :-) I know that East Renfrewshire has had massive growth recently and Garnethill provides one of the best yields in Scotland. Interested to hear your feedback!

Most of the East Ren properties will go to closing date within a few weeks of marketing, very hard to compete with the owner occupiers as generally they pay well above the Home Report valuation. Best yields in Scotland certainly lie outside the Glasgow city council boundary, what is your numbers for Garnethill?

Tony-Ng.jpg

The Glasgow Meet up takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 0:39 PM, rob bence said:

Hey Vanessa,

Birmingham is strong, but we just felt there's stronger areas to invest in this year. The amount of investment in Manchester dwarfs what's going into Birmingham; although this is far from saying Birmingham is a bad place to invest - there's loads of really positive things happening there!

Cheers,

Rob

Would there be a similar ripple effect in Manchester that has been seen in London, or is the main growth more centralised?  I know Stockport has been mentioned, but what about any of the towns that are commutable to Manchester?  I am wondering about those with Met Links or Train stations?

Thanks

Darren

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.fmp-investments.com

property@f-m-p.uk

I am looking for private financing

with a 10% ROI - get in touch

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2017 at 5:52 PM, darren mcneill said:

Would there be a similar ripple effect in Manchester that has been seen in London, or is the main growth more centralised?  I know Stockport has been mentioned, but what about any of the towns that are commutable to Manchester?  I am wondering about those with Met Links or Train stations?

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

I absolutely expect there to be a ripple effect out of Manchester. Stockport will certainly benefit along with many other areas in Greater Manchester. Also keep an eye out for Warrington and Wigan - both are commutable into Manchester but have strong enough fundamentals in their own right.

Cheers,

Rob

On 3/21/2017 at 3:16 PM, rob bence said:

Hi Darren,

I absolutely expect there to be a ripple effect out of Manchester. Stockport will certainly benefit along with many other areas in Greater Manchester. Also keep an eye out for Warrington and Wigan - both are commutable into Manchester but have strong enough fundamentals in their own right.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I have been investigating since the last post, and found that the effect is also slightly further afield.   For example, Ramsbottom is now becoming more expensive (commuter village to  Manchester), so now people are looking at the Rossendale Valley (which is just further on) - Which also had a full page article in the Manchester Evening News.  Superb schools, beautiful countryside, access to the motorway network.  Unfortunately, no train service, but there are 2 direct buses to Manchester Central which take 1hr in the early morning commute.  Prices within certain areas of Rossendale have grown quite strong in the last 12 months.

My BTL's are not scheduled until 2018, but I have been looking at Wigan with HS2.  There are some great opportunities from what I have seen here, with ROI looking quite favourable.  Looking at price comparisons from 2008 to now, there are still a lot of properties selling for half of their peak prices.  I have also spent the last few days researching Burnley, which in my opinion has amazing potential.  I know it is tarred with a bad brush, but unemployment is falling at double the rate of the UK average, it has double the UK average of "tech jobs," there is investment in infrastructure, and it is breaking large numbers of records for its regeneration.  Yes you can get the 20k properties, but they are in the worst areas.  With a little research you can find some excellent areas with all of the fundamentals required.  The recent "Todmorden Curve" train line means commuting to Manchester is now an hour.  TBH I could literally go on about the positives all day.  It has made me re-evaluate my current BTS strategy area, and look more closely here as it is only 30 minutes from where I live.  I'm that excited I have spend 8 hours today analysing all of the areas and market trends!  lol....  Unfortunately this bores the Mrs! :D

Darren

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.fmp-investments.com

property@f-m-p.uk

I am looking for private financing

with a 10% ROI - get in touch