Hello 

I set up a boiler cover with 247 home rescue! 

I can't stress enough how bad they are. 

The day before the tenants moved in my cleaner noticed the boiler was leaking, they turned it off and contacted me. 

I called to make a claim with the cover plan and the rejected it as I could give them the pressure of the boiler. I explained to them I was 140miles of the east coast on an oil rig and they didn't care. I then had to get an other engineer out who I paid £120 but he couldn't sort jt. 

So I then called up to make a claim again as there were tenants that could give the pressure and whatever other info they need. The declined this offer claim as a third party went to it. I explained that I had to do that because my property was going to flood because they wouldn't come out.

so they have left the property with no heating or hot water. 

I had to contact British Gas and pay £100 and take out a years cover! 

Leason learned! 

£100 to British gas 

£42 to home rescue 

£120 to the plumber who couldn't fix it

In future I will always go with British gas. They came out the next morning. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, david brown 629 said:

It is very important to read the small print.

I am sorry that you had to go through that experience with a local engineer.

British Gas is a good option for repair and cover.

David

Team Boiler

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. I'm happy with my British gas cover, they are really helpful. 

In your expert opinion, do you feel the sum of £120 for a plumber to be called out, go to the leak, order the wrong part, then fit an other part that didnt work, cover it in silicone and then claim I need a new boiler isint right? I'm currently arguing with my letting agents over it.

Thanks

Howard

Hi Howard

i am pleased British Gas provided a solution for you.

However, there have been several reports in the media based on consumers complaints, that British Gas engineers frequently pressurise homeowners into renewing boilers when they are not really required.  They advise it is beyond repair, or parts are not available.

Furthermore, it was claimed that the British Gas sales department actually run training courses for engineers in order to promote such activity.

Sorry to be the bearer of such negative news !

However, whether true or not, this illustrates the point, that you should get more than one opinion/quote from contractors before committing to such large expenditure.

• 3 years later...

Decent detail, yet it is consistently imperative to have a heater cover in the event that you purchase a boiler. As Black Friday is on its pinnacle. all day, every day 24/7 Home Rescue offers you an exclusive to half off on its boiler cover. The real cost is £9.99 yet after Black Friday discount, 24/7 Home Rescue is giving you this offer in just £4.99. Profit it now. The Trustpilot rating is 4.7 and they are the third biggest boiler cover suppliers in the UK. Visit our site for additional subtleties.

Capture.PNG

Insurance makes a profit by charging more for its service than it pays out in claims thus most people pay more for insurance than they get back in claims.

I prefer to have a decent local plumber who will attend when needed.

I agree with the comment about B Gas trying to sell new boilers when they are not needed - they try this every year with my neighbours (!). I also think they are expensive - in short, if B Gas is the answer it’s a pretty stupid question!

As Julia said, it is generally a rip off. If you don't fight your corner every year the renewal cost is extortionate. There is no reward for customer loyalty.

The engineers are targeted on first time completion rather than quality of work. If they see something that isn't going to cause an issue within 10days they will avoid returning to replace it as they are penalised on their quarterly bonus due to higher parts costs and poor percentage of 1st time completion despite being a better engineer. 

Their recent performance measure is aimed at squeezing the current customer base for every possible upgrade that they haven't already got. They are now targeted on the percentage of jobs that they promote a product among other things. 

They do have a vast coverage of engineers however their senior management seems to be pushing towards a contractor business model so it won't be long before you don't get the BG trained engineer that you're expecting. 

You do however have significant security if a job goes wrong. The office tends to role over and pay for a local tradesman if they can't get out quick enough. 

Take that as you wish, it was probably less of a helpful insight and more of a rant but after over a decade watching it fall apart as an engineer I thought I'd have a little rant 😀 

15 hours ago, bwhite said:

As Julia said, it is generally a rip off. If you don't fight your corner every year the renewal cost is extortionate. There is no reward for customer loyalty.

The engineers are targeted on first time completion rather than quality of work. If they see something that isn't going to cause an issue within 10days they will avoid returning to replace it as they are penalised on their quarterly bonus due to higher parts costs and poor percentage of 1st time completion despite being a better engineer. 

Their recent performance measure is aimed at squeezing the current customer base for every possible upgrade that they haven't already got. They are now targeted on the percentage of jobs that they promote a product among other things. 

They do have a vast coverage of engineers however their senior management seems to be pushing towards a contractor business model so it won't be long before you don't get the BG trained engineer that you're expecting. 

You do however have significant security if a job goes wrong. The office tends to role over and pay for a local tradesman if they can't get out quick enough. 

Take that as you wish, it was probably less of a helpful insight and more of a rant but after over a decade watching it fall apart as an engineer I thought I'd have a little rant 😀 

I pay for appliance cover with Domestic and general. I have found them to be pretty good. They always call out the engineers from the manufacturer themself. They've never played games with coverage either 

Also, because I have insurance, I make sure to call out engineers, even for small issues

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/

Hi - sorry newbie here but a quick question ref this:

Isn't it better just to keep some money in the bank for an out and out replacement?  For my own home I insure as little as I can, even having high excess as i just keep money in the bank.  I think it gives better value. Obviously you need the money upfront.