Sign in to follow this  
haf1963

Tips for switchinf from BTL to new-build strategy

So, I've been doing BTL for last 2 years and now have 5 properties in the midlands - all in a ltd company. They all needed full refurbs plus a couple of extensions so I have a very good idea now on whats involved in getting major building works done and some good builder contacts. I'm thinking about getting into development and wanted to start with a small project i.e 1-2 small houses. I'm struggling to find good information on this as the majority of podcasts/blogs  etc are BTL focused and I'm pretty sure i haven't seen anything indepth from rob+rob.

The main areas I am unsure of are around planning (i.e do i buy ; without any planning, pre-planning or full planning) and then what kind of considerations etc do I need to make regardng power, water, sewage etc as there are bound to be big-cost pit-falls in these areas... I'm ok on getting an architect and building the house but its everything else around getting the land etc that are new to me.

So any pointers to indepth information will be greatly appreciated

13 minutes ago, haf1963 said:

So, I've been doing BTL for last 2 years and now have 5 properties in the midlands - all in a ltd company. They all needed full refurbs plus a couple of extensions so I have a very good idea now on whats involved in getting major building works done and some good builder contacts. I'm thinking about getting into development and wanted to start with a small project i.e 1-2 small houses. I'm struggling to find good information on this as the majority of podcasts/blogs  etc are BTL focused and I'm pretty sure i haven't seen anything indepth from rob+rob.

The main areas I am unsure of are around planning (i.e do i buy ; without any planning, pre-planning or full planning) and then what kind of considerations etc do I need to make regardng power, water, sewage etc as there are bound to be big-cost pit-falls in these areas... I'm ok on getting an architect and building the house but its everything else around getting the land etc that are new to me.

So any pointers to indepth information will be greatly appreciated

hello,

The only thing I can think of is visit the below websites - they have podcasts and forums too where you can get specific advise:

http://www.self-build.co.uk/

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/