Property juggling

Hi,

I won't pretend this is an easy enquiry, and I suspect I'll be needing some tax/mortgage advise from a professional, so if anybody knows a good one in the Scottish Central Belt (ideally Glasgow) area, it'd be much appreciated.

1. I currently have a property I let with my brother (£80k at 75% LTV).
  2. I currently have a property I live in with my wife (£98k with 60% LTV remaining).
  3. I want to refinance the property I live in as BTL and remove equity up to 75% LTV. I want to take this money and combine it with other money to buy a new residential property with my wife.
  4. I want to let my old house with my brother and under both our names.

Does anybody have experience or knowledge with a complex transaction like this, or a good experience of dealing with somebody who does?

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi Jamie

If you have constant income i.e. rent from your current rental property, the new residential mortgage lender won't consider the BTL mortgage as your expenses. Item 3 should be a straight forward process, in the past I have declared my deposit was came from the equity release from other property, albeit it's for BTL purchase rather than main residence purchase in your case. If I understand you correctly, the challenge is your intention to put your old house (which the title is currently under your sole name only?) under a joint name ownership with your brother, can you two sign a separate agreement rather than involving the Land Registry?

Kind regards

Tony

Tony-Ng.jpg

The Glasgow Meet up takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

Hi Tony,

Hope you're doing well - I will see you on the 2nd!

I just phoned HSBC who have said that equity release from BTL is not allowed if the money is earmarked for a residential purchase. Nonsense as far as I can tell. It just encourages me to not swap my mortgage to them. I'll potentially look at a re-mortgage up to £73,000 on a residential mortgage and then switch to a BTL after the fact, or alternatively I'll re-mortgage with another lender who is happy for me to use that cash for a residential purchase.

Absolute joke!

Jamie