james lam

James from London, interested in Scotland

Hi everyone,

I'm James Lam, long time lurker. Currently based in London, and I'm looking at deals in Scotland (Glasgow specifically, due to promising BTL returns). I'm not very young anymore :), but maybe a little bit unusually, this is my first foray into property! I'll be looking for guidance on this forum, and I'll do my best to pay forward as I gather skills and experience.

Thanks,

James

Hey James,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you getting stuck in!

You’ve come to the right place for guidance. Have a good look round and ask away!

Have you considered one of the Hub meetups? We have plenty in London. They’re a great opportunity to network, and learn from, like-minded investors. You can find your nearest meetup here: http://thepropertyhub.net/events.

I’ll be at the King’s Cross meetup in April. If you do come along, make sure you say hi!

Finally, look out for this week’s podcast, it’s about Scotland :)

Cheers,

Rob

Hi James, I'm from Dunblane in Central Scotland now living in Berkshire but I've been investing in Glasgow and Stirling since 2001. You are right that the yields you can achieve in both places are much higher than in the South of England and I never have void periods as both cities have large university populations and Glasgow in particular is a vibrant cosmopolitan city now. I have noticed huge rent increases over the last few years - I would say in my properties rents have increased by around 30% over the last 3 years but values have stayed pretty static so now is maybe a good time to get in as I think the capital values will catch up with rents over time. My only concern with values is the threat of a second independence referendum as I believe this uncertainty is probably putting off a large number of international and English investors. What areas of Glasgow are you looking at?   

Interesting topic guys,

Where would you say are the best BTL investment areas in Glasgow James? Both for HMO and single lets? And looking for a balance between yield and potential capital growth...

Thank you.

Nick  - London

nikork900@hotmail.com

On 24/03/2017 at 11:29 AM, graeme stewart said:

Hi James, I'm from Dunblane in Central Scotland now living in Berkshire but I've been investing in Glasgow and Stirling since 2001. You are right that the yields you can achieve in both places are much higher than in the South of England and I never have void periods as both cities have large university populations and Glasgow in particular is a vibrant cosmopolitan city now. I have noticed huge rent increases over the last few years - I would say in my properties rents have increased by around 30% over the last 3 years but values have stayed pretty static so now is maybe a good time to get in as I think the capital values will catch up with rents over time. My only concern with values is the threat of a second independence referendum as I believe this uncertainty is probably putting off a large number of international and English investors. What areas of Glasgow are you looking at?   

Hi Graeme, do you think things have settled down a bit now? I'm also from London, and am looking to invest in Scotland, currently starting my due diligence checklist but not sure where in Scotland to start. Would you be able to recommend some areas, or maybe a contact who does investor days? Thanks and hope things are going well for you.