Advice needed for managing a refurb project remotely

Hi guys,

I'm based in London and will be undertaking a refurb project up North (Leeds) very soon. I'm looking for all your advice/methods/tips etc- for effectively managing a refurb project remotely (keeping tradesmen on track, quality control, etc).

Aware that it'll be a challenge, but any advice from seasoned individuals would be greatly appreciated!

Anthony Gosling
WG Estates | Property Investor
www.wgestatesuk.com

Hi,

I’d suggest choosing your trades carefully, ideally via recommendations and then perhaps agreeing staged payment based on completion dates for work. Alternatively you could get someone up here (friends/family?) to keep an eye on things for you.

Whereabouts in Leeds is it? I’m Leeds based and currently on with my second BTL so would be good to swap notes at some point.

Cheers

Nick

Hi, 

I would suggest a project coordinator. A decent one will charge you an agreed fee and work with you during the procurement stage. If they have buying power and trades they can call on, their actual fee will be covered in the savings gained from their network. However if it costs you a couple of more percent, this slight uplift is worth its weight in gold from a stress and time management point of view. With trades being in short supply, reliability and sticking to agreed costs seems to be a big issue. Having someone on the ground who is well versed in construction and projects will set you in good stead. Additionally they will ensure you do not get over charged or have unnnessasary works done and all done to the right standard. 

Give me a message if you need some help. 

Regards

James 

Thanks James- a project coordinator certainly sounds like a helpful resource to have on the ground.

At this stage I see my refurb as more cosmetic, light touch (re-doing flooring, walls, kitchen units, new shower) rather than a full scale structural refurb. In your experience, would you seem it necessary/ cost effective for this type of refurb?

Thanks

Anthony Gosling
WG Estates | Property Investor
www.wgestatesuk.com

• 1 month later...