18 Year Old New Starter Investing in West Yorkshire

Afternoon All!

Hi, I'm Ben 18 years old and looking to purchase my first single let BTL in the coming months. 

I've always had an interest and followed house prices in my home city of Wakefield as my father used to be a landlord in London years ago and had always thought of doing so up North. As a result, there were always property brochures around the house when I was growing up despite my father deciding not to invest in the end.

We live just south of Wakefield and are looking to invest in the North and North east of this city as we know it well. There is lots of rental demand here as many professionals commute to both Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester and the area is close to both the M1 and M62. There's also good train links with the East Coast Mainline running through Wakefield too. There are many shops and amenities near by also. If anyone has particular knowledge of the area: Outwood, Wrenthorpe, Alverthorpe and Osset are the main areas I am considering at the moment. 

The idea is to purchase a property in need of updating as a 50/50 JV with my father, complete the refurbishment and then remortgage 6-months post completion to realise the property's new value with which I can buy out my father. My next steps are finding a mortgage broker to advise on the intricacies of the lending and form a Power Team of local tradespeople, a few of which I know already.

I'll also try and make my way to the Leeds meet up in February also!

Many thanks if you've taken the time to read this, and if there's any way you think you may be able to advise please let me know!

Cheers

Ben

• 1 year later...