Newcastle / Gateshead market growth?

Hi all,

When people ask why I buy flats in Gateshead it's easy to point out the extremely high yields but i've also been aware of the poor capital growth.

I've always hoped that investment in Newcastle would eventually cause the affluence to spill over the Tyne into Gateshead and start to push the prices up there (maybe over the next 10 years or so).

Has anyone got any opinions on the likelihood of this happening? I'm conscious that I might be investing in an area where the market value remains stagnant as it has done for the last at least 5 years!

All views appreciated,

Jordan

Good question.There doesnt seem to be much shortage of supply in the area so there's no pressure on prices locally, however we are (in my opinion) in the mid term wobble of the 18 year property cycle so I'm predicting a couple of years of continued stagnation followed by steap growth following that.

This is why Im currently buying.

• 5 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, jordan hamilton said:

Hi all,

When people ask why I buy flats in Gateshead it's easy to point out the extremely high yields but i've also been aware of the poor capital growth.

I've always hoped that investment in Newcastle would eventually cause the affluence to spill over the Tyne into Gateshead and start to push the prices up there (maybe over the next 10 years or so).

Has anyone got any opinions on the likelihood of this happening? I'm conscious that I might be investing in an area where the market value remains stagnant as it has done for the last at least 5 years!

All views appreciated,

Jordan

Very candid. Much admiration.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I am originally from the North East so I am very aware prices have been flat up there for some time. My sister purchased a flat in Wallsend in 2007 and I think it's still barely the same price she paid for it. With that in mind I am becoming more & more interested in Newcastle as an investment locaiton. If I can buy at 10 year old prices today that has to be a good thing. Newcaslte will always take a little longer to kick start than the likes of Manchester or Leeds... but the base is so low, it's hard to go too far wrong. Brexit fees are putting others off, but I do suspect if people are brave and get into Newcastle now, they will feel the rewards over the next 10 years... 

That's why I'm puttinng me fatha to good use pounding the pavement! Ha Ha, cheers Dad!

Nick

• 2 months later...