A thermostat in every room ? HMO advice requested

tara star

Dear Hubbers

HI, I'm a HMO newbie and grateful for your advice.

I've got a 6 bed HMO , 2 storey in the works . All bills will be included. I've got myself a bit confused with the type of thermostat arrangement to set up. Should I just have a single thermostat in a communal area , one on each floor or one in each room ( super pricey to set up)

I'd really appreciate advice on how to keep  bills down whilst making sure everyone is comfortable . Having a thermostat in each room seems like the most comprehensive solution but its the most costly.

Any advice on an easy -to -use brand which has worked for you and  thermostat strategy would be gratefully received.

I appreciate your time Hubbers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have HMOs and do all inclusive. I think multiple room stats would be massive expense and over the top, I assume you'd then need a multi zone boiler or multiple boilers. Ideally you want the house a little to warm so they wont use electric heaters. Then the ones that are too hot can manually adjust the radiators in their room.

The below is a previous post Ive made on a similar subject.

I have installed OWL Intuition room stats and electricity monitors in my houses. I like them as I can access a graph of usage online for both heating and electric. It is also only really controllable from online or the app, so tenants cant change heating setting.

Back in 2010 one of my HMOs which is 8 bedroom was costing £380 per month. I have had that as low as £135 at one point but back around £170 per month right now, that's for gas and electric. I got it down using the OWL & replacing old appliances, fridges, freezer, dryer, etc....I think one old freezer was really using a lot of juice. oh, Ive got a cheap Beko dryers that have sensor drying so will cut out when the clothes are dry. That has to be more efficient! :-)

The OWL really helped that it allowed me to monitor the house closely and work out it was cheaper to keep the house above a certain temperature all the time rather than let it cool and have to heat it back up again. This meant tenants were no longer tempted to use electric heaters, which cost a fortune to run. I promise my tenants I'll keep them warm and if they are ever cold to text me and I can boost it from my phone, all I ask in return is that they don't use electric heaters. In 6 years I've only had one request to boost it and no tenant has used an electric heater. (Id be able to tell looking at the data in the OWL electricity monitor)

I have only tried one other which was a Salus at my own home, wasn't good as there was no way of looking back at the data and you could change the setting from the wall unit. Also didnt monitor electric.

I also regularly switch tariffs online and choose the right times to submit meter readings so my averages and direct debit billing is correct.

I can now add to the above that I friend of mine who also does HMO's has switched to all inclusive and installed a hive. But the tenants have worked out how to change it wirelessly, perhaps googled how to hack in to it.