Jump to content

ian gracie

Established Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About ian gracie

  • Rank
    Established member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Location
  • About me
    Founder of MyPlanningExpert.co.uk

Recent Profile Visitors

1,635 profile views
  1. Hi Ian

    Quite a general question(s):

    1. If I have a detached garage that I want to convert to an annexe but suspect I will have to knock it down and start again does this still account as permitted development.

    2. If as part of the garage conversion I add a porch is this still permitted development?

    Kind regards Eddy. 


  2. p.s. I haven't kept an eye on the thread for a while but the best way of reaching me is at ian@myplanningexert.co.uk. So if you can't find your answer on this thread in the first instance then feel free to contact me. And thank you to Tom for adding value on this thread! So hard to get good planning advice so this generous offer is definitely one you should follow up on!
  3. Hi Noory123, Indeed it has been a while since I posted. Tom is right. Unfortunately there is no easy solution and, to be quite honest, even though I am a planning professional myself it is one of the most frustrating things about the industry for people like yourself trying to deliver housing during a housing crisis. Makes it difficult to deliver housing quickly. But yes, each authority has its own set of policies and criteria for its sites based on location, accessibility, housing need, affordable housing and other things. As a starting point, you've done the right thing by aski
  4. Good evening


    I have an option to buy either a B1 or A1 unit which is below two flats on a high street.  They have both been refused planning to change into flats.  Can I use the certificate of lawfulness 4 year rule to gain planning?


    Many thanks



  5. If it is still relevant to you, I would look at the Council's planning policies on both housing and education. They may say that any new units require a contribution towards the education system. Where I worked in a local authority we certainly didn't do this for schemes as minor as this but different Councils have different rules. After you've looked at the policies, no matter what it shows up, have a look at similar planning applications that have been granted recently and see if they secured an education contribution. The officer's report of each application should justify it. If you f
  6. It sounds like you have some interesting designations across your site! From what you have described, I'd be very surprised if you cannot achieve what you have described and get planning pemrission. It's tricky to advise without knowing the site in detail but I would get some rough plans drawn together and approach the Council through pre-application advice and see what their view is or get a consultant to look into it for you. The most cost-effective way would be to approach the Council for their view but there could be some value in a consultant looks into it. Have you had a lo
  7. Hi Archie4, I would have a quiet word with the Enforcement department of your Council and ask them to investigate it. When they bought the land after the permission, it would have come up in the land search so the landowner should know about the parking restrictions you mention. It may be from a planning perspective that what they are doing may be acceptable but if the landowner is renting it to local office workers, the transport impact of tht will be different from its intended use and would require an assessment. Try approaching the landlord first to see what they say, and if you ar
  8. Hi BermondseyFox, It sounds to me that if you are anchoring the structure down with concrete then it would be a permanent structure and would require planning permission. Blocks of flats do not have permitted development rights like houses do meaning there is very little that can get by through permitted development rights. I would have a look at the Council's design policies - there may be something in there about terraces and gazebos etc. You may find the Council have an issue with this from a design perspective but as I say the answer should be in either there design policies or gui
  9. Hi joint_owner, You make a very fair point and it would seem odd that so many conditions can only be discharged by certificates of lawfulness. It is hard to advise without the decision notice and the officers report - perhaps you can PM that. Where are you based? If you'd like I can get in touch with my network of planning consultants I know to see if this is something they could help you with? Might save you a lot of money and hair!
  10. If you need planning advice and are looking for a planning consultant then let me know and I will use my network and find a consultant to help you. Just let me know the type of advice you need and I will see if I can recommend someone for you. No obligation to use that consultant of course. I work in the planning industry myself. I am based in London which is where my network is strongest but I will be able to help elsewhere too.
  11. Hi George, Much like my post above, it seems I didn't get or missed the notifications for this thread. So apologies for that. It doesn't seem as though the condition stipulates any particular type of obscure glazing. Generally speaking such conditions are for obscure glass both ways - the officer's report should shed some light on their particular concerns, but obscure glazing both ways is generally the aim. You may try for one way but it would be at your own risk. I appreciate how hard it is to get an answer if you can't get hold of the officer! It's be
  12. Hi Peachy2020, I'm sorry I missed this, I don't appear to have got any notifications for this thread! If it is still helpful, I would have a look at the officer's report to this decision and see what their reasoning was. Every report has to cover all the planning issues and with windows like these there only really 2 main issues: amenity (i.e. privacy) and design. Go to the amenity section of the officer's report and see what they say in relation to the policy you have quoted. If the report does not satisfy you then I would try and find out who the manager
  13. Hi Finlander, A bit late to this but are you still looking to sort this issue out? Or have you agreed a path with the Council? Thanks, Ian
  14. Hi Suzie, Apologies for the delayed response. If you PM me with your details I can take a look and get back to you with some thoughts. Thanks, Ian
  15. Hi TimeOut2, A very good question and one that is not particularly straight forward to answer. So I would caveat my answer by saying that it is my opinion and you may want to hire a consultant to look into this as well to back up your position. The Use Classes Order defines dwellinghouses within Use Class C3 which has three parts: a), b), c). So since the completion of the planning permission that the previous owner secured, provided the new house is being used as defined by C3a) then it should be considered a dwellinghouse: C3(a) covers use by a single pe
  • Create New...