Jump to content


Established Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About tom_bradfield

Profile Information

  • Location
  • About me
  • My skills

Recent Profile Visitors

212 profile views
  1. Hi, I agree, although admit being slightly biased as I am a planning consultant! There are a lot of considerations when undertaking works under permitted development - often it can be just as complicated as full planning. I cover London and the South East, so more than happy to help out if needed - just drop me an email on tom.bradfield@berrys.uk.com Tom
  2. Hi, It really depends on which form of permitted development you are using - there are different requirements for office to residential compared to retail to residential for example. Some external changes are permitted in retail - residential, but office to residential usually only allows internal changes. Essentially what you need to avoid is providing windowless rooms within the residential units - something that was overlooked when the PD rights were brought in! The best place to look is the relevant part of the General Permitted Development Order, which sets out the restrictions on each type of permitted development. The Planning Portal also has a useful guide for what can be done without planning permission etc: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/9/change_of_use/2 Hope this helps Tom
  3. Hi, From a planning side - it is important that you make sure the commercial property is not within an area that has an Article 4 Direction which removes these permitted development rights, otherwise you will not be able to do the conversion. Secondly, you will still have to apply to the Local Authority for "Prior Approval" for the conversion. They can take into account a variety of matters including transport impacts, quality of the accommodation (in particular daylight/sunlight), flood risk, land contamination and noise, so it is worth making sure that your proposal wouldn't have any issues on those fronts as well. Thirdly, the prior approval does not allow for any external changes to be made to the building, so if you are planning on doing those you will need a separate planning permission. Hope this helps Tom
  4. Hi, Whilst I can't help on too much of the other bits and pieces, I can confirm that it would have required planning consent to convert the house into flats. First thing to do would be to check whether the property gained planning permission for the conversion. If it has permission, then happy days, but also if the conversion took place over four years ago and no permission was given then it would be immune from enforcement action. I hope this helps Tom
  5. Hi Adam, Welcome to the forum! I am a planning consultant based in the Oxford area covering the Thames Valley, London and wider South East and am happy to help out where I can on the planning side of things. My company (Berrys) also has a range of other consultancy services including project management, heritage and building surveying amongst others as well as in house architects. Please do get in touch if you need any advice on your projects Best of luck Tom
  6. Hi, If you want to create a new house/flat you would need to apply for planning permission even if the works are just internal regardless of conditions etc. If you were just creating a new room that would be part of the main house you would often be able to do this without permission, providing there are no conditions etc on the original development. From what you have said it looks like there is a condition to restrict this, so you would have to apply for planning permission either way. It sounds like the conditions they mention remove permitted development rights for the property, so any extension would require a full planning application. If you take a look at the original planning permission for the property, each condition should have a reason for why it has been placed on the permission, so that might shed some light on why! Hope this helps Tom
  7. Hi, I am a planning consultant - and although not based in South Wales, work for a company (Berrys) that has plenty of experience across the country, including in Wales. Happy to discuss your requirements, my details are below: tom.bradfield@berrys.uk.com 07881108361 Thanks Tom
  8. Hi Gillyu, You are correct - this amends the 2015 order (which has itself been amended a number of other times!) by adding in a few clauses, including the one you refer to. The new PD rights are restricted to properties that were built between July 1st 1948 and October 28th 2018 - if you property was built outside this window then it does not qualify for these PD rights, and you would have to apply for full planning permission for additional storeys. With regards to the Government's logic, I do not know - 1948 was when the planning system was introduced to the UK, but other than that it appears to be plucked out of thin air... Sadly, it is unlikely that it will benefit you in any way if your property falls outside of the restrictions. Ultimately there is no "fallback" position, i.e. you could do it under PD rather than full planning so they would be more likely to grant full planning permission, so there is no added incentive for the Local Authority to grant permission. I suppose if the houses either side did qualify for the PD changes you could make the argument that they could be two storeys higher, so yours should be allowed to extend upwards as well, but I think this is a relatively weak argument without the presence of at least applications on the other two properties. Hope this helps! Tom
  9. Hi Jon, I can only answer the planning related questions (being a planning consultant) I'm afraid, but I hope this helps in some way! Firstly - be careful combining conversion to flats and permitted development. Flats do not benefit from permitted development rights, so my advice would be to at least begin construction of the PD extension whilst the property is one single dwelling (ideally complete it, but understand you are on a short timeframe!) prior to submitted a full planning application for the conversion to flats in order to avoid any potential enforcement. Alternatively, include the extension within the planning app, depending on size etc. Secondly - with regards employing a planning consultant, in my experience of developments like this, you can usually get away without employing one, especially if the architect you employ has a good grasp of the relevant planning legislation (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't!), but it can get complicated (for example dealing with the complexities of PD etc as mentioned in my first point) - which is where a planning consultant comes in handy! I work for a consultancy that has architects and planners in house, so we normally are ok, but I have seen plenty of examples where an architect has tried to sort it out themselves without planning expertise and come a bit of a cropper! Finally - from what you have said, it is unlikely that you will need planning permission for any internal structural wall work, but as you would be submitting an application anyway for the conversion, this can be included in that. Hope this helps Tom
  10. Hi Noel, There are some exemptions to CIL, such as extensions to existing houses, charitable development and social housing, although from what you have said, I don't think any of these apply. There is a self-build exemption from CIL, but again, I don't think you would qualify. Specifically the guidance for the self-build exemption says: an exemption from the Community Infrastructure Levy will be available to anybody who is building their own home or has commissioned a home from a contractor, house builder or sub-contractor. Individuals benefiting from the exemption must own the property and occupy it as their principal residence for a minimum of 3 years after the work is completed. I hope this helps, even if it isn't the answer you wanted to hear! Tom
  11. Hi Charlotte, I can only answer your planning-related questions I'm afraid, rather than more property based ones. In terms of extending the house, you are correct in thinking that there are plenty of extensions you can do without getting planning permission, although I would always advise getting a Certificate of Lawfulness from the Local Authority to confirm that what you want to do does not require planning permission. The Planning Portal has a lot of information regarding what can and what cannot be done without planning permission, including helpful interactive guides (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200234/home_improvement_projects). The 3m depth of a single storey rear extension you mention is correct, but this is measured from the original rear wall of the house at the extension's deepest point, and it can get complicated if it attaches to another extension or extends beyond the side of the house. From a planning point of view, there is no reason why you could not build up to the boundary or attach to the neighbour's house, but you would likely require their permission and have to undertake a Party Wall Agreement etc. I hope that this helps Tom
  12. Hi, In terms of the garden - from a planning perspective - it may be worth looking at the relevant Local Authority's Local Plan, which should give some information regarding amenity space provision. This will be a minimum amount, but should give you a starting point in terms of size. Hope this helps! Tom
  13. Hi Chris, As a planning consultant, I spend a lot of my time trawling through LPA planning search portals looking for applications. It varies from LPA to LPA, and as I am sure you have found, some of the search functions are terrible and others quite useful - I always find the ones that include an interactive map to be the most useful, and would no doubt be very useful to find the information you are looking for. I don't think that there is an easy way to just come up with a list of all lapsed permissions I'm afraid - it may just be a case of a lot of legwork looking through the portals and finding sites. I would approach it by using the dates filters. Most planning permissions have a condition which requires them to be implemented within 3 years of the consent, as I am sure you are aware, so I would set the dates to include applications from 3 years ago and beyond (maybe in 6 month chunks or so), applying any other filters that might be useful and where possible (i.e. just major applications/residential etc) and work my way through. Whilst there isn't a definite way of identifying which of these permissions have been implemented/completed, once you have a list of targets you can always look for whether they have submitted additional applications for that site to vary the permission or discharge conditions - if there are a number of applications after the original permission it is likely that it has been implemented. I hope this helps, at least to start with - good luck! Tom
  14. Thanks Stu. els - Councils will put conditions on permissions, these often require something to happen, e.g. the works must be commenced within 3 years or something to be submitted and approved by the Council (usually either before commencement of works, occupation of the property or another timescale). The conditions must be satisfied in the timescales that they set out - before commencement/occupation etc otherwise enforcement action could be taken. Informatives or advisorys are often put on to inform/advise the owner of something that may need to happen, but is not necessarily within the planning system's control. Without seeing the decision notice it is difficult to give exact advice, but I would suggest you look into the advisory note - they are often useful as it may be something you have to do under another piece of legislation that isn't within the planning system but is closely linked. If in doubt, the best option would be to give the planning officer who wrote the report etc a ring and ask why they included it, hopefully they should be able to clear it up! Hope this helps - let me know if you want any further assistance Tom