emma jayne

Cost of house rewire- is this quote ok?

I’m just starting renovation up north near Halifax - I’ve had a quote of 4K to rewire 3 bed house which has basement to rewire too (over 4 floors) - contractor agreed to come down to 3.8k - feels a bit toppy to me? What do you think? 

I think it depends on what you're having installed. Clearly, a rewire requires wiring but how many electrical points are you have installed? Are your plugs plastic finish or metal? Chased into the wall or in trunking/conduit? (arguably more suitable to HMOs and Commercial) Will any of the plugs have USB points? Are you having pendant lights or downlights? Is the consumer board being replaced? Are you having continuous supply fire alarms installed and if so how many? 

I've recently had a quote on a 3 bed house rewire over 2 floors and the quote came out at a similar price. But I'm down south (where some contractors wear a balaclava and carry bags labelled "Swag")

Feel free to add me on Linkedin;   https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dkidd

Hi,

This quote seems a little steep to me. I have had several properties rewired from 2 bed terraced to 4 bed detached. I have paid between £2000 to £2900. This was based on an average of 4 sockets in each room with additional sockets in the kitchen. New consumer unit. A cable running for the bathroom tv and a separate 10mm cable to run the induction hob. In the more expensive price I also had installed hard wired smoke and heat detectors and Ariel points in 4 of the rooms. In addition to the chrome and/or usb sockets you are only talking another 250-350 depending on the product as they are not any harder to install you are just paying the extra for the product.

Hope this helps,

Jase

Hi guys 

thanks for your replies - sorry just seen a couple as didn’t get notifications! It’s now sorted - gone with a different guy, means I have to wait 4 weeks but 3,100 inc fire smoke alarms so feels about right! 

Craig / I’ve agreed a quote but always welcome sparky/plumber/plasterer details as got a lot more to do! Thanks ! 

Appreciate everyone’s time and responses - love the hub! 

Hi again Emma,

I see you have now agreed a price. You want to mention to the sparky to also put coaxial cables in where the TVs are going to be whilst the wall are chased out so all cables within the home are in the wall. (That’s if you haven’t already). I do this in every renovation for a better Finnish for the person who purchases the property.

Best wishes and keep us all up to date with photos!!!

Jase

Thanks Jase, yes he mentioned that and I,m going in on his first day on the job with a marker pen to mark up the walls with him! Sure we;ll have some mishaps (including the fact we have no kitchen or kitchen plan yet!!! but need to wire it !) will keep you posted !