rambos

Liverpool Landlord Licence

Hi everyone,

I'm about to complete on a property in Liverpool and am looking to apply for my licence. Just interested in what peoples experience in this have been.

Many thanks,

Danni

Hi!

I bought two apartments in Liverpool that completed in April and I bought my Landlord Licence through my management company in their name, and this was slightly cheaper and saved me the hassle of applying myself.

However, I was outraged when I discovered that - regardless of when the licence is purchased - it costs the same price (~£400) and expires in March 2020! So those of us who have purchased investment property in Liverpool in the last year have got very poor value for money in regards to the licence.

The initial licence scheme was only approved for 5 years starting in April 2015. Liverpool City Council have asked the Government to extend the licencing for another 5 years, so whether or not that means another few hundred pounds for a new licence, or they keep it rolling based on when you purchase, I'm not sure of. Most likely you'll have to apply for a new one given it'll rake in more £ for the council...

On 8/27/2019 at 9:55 PM, DerekT said:

The initial licence scheme was only approved for 5 years starting in April 2015. Liverpool City Council have asked the Government to extend the licencing for another 5 years, so whether or not that means another few hundred pounds for a new licence, or they keep it rolling based on when you purchase, I'm not sure of. Most likely you'll have to apply for a new one given it'll rake in more £ for the council...

Of course they'll take the whole amount! You'd think they'd prorate it. New money for old rope I suppose!

Hi Rambos, 

Only the good landlords pay for them.

If I was you I’d try to hold of getting one until March 2020. The problem you’ll have is that a lot of letting agents won’t let a Tenent move in unless a licence is in place or being put in place, which is a good thing but It’s a real shame that Liverpool city council can’t honour these licenses for 5 years or at least give you some sort of discount into the next scheme as I myself bought one @ 2 months ago, as it’s forcing more landlords to go the other way and avoid paying the fee...

rant over....

Neil