Crazy or motivated?

Hi,

I'm 27 and have just given up a career in physiotherapy. In a couple of weeks I will be going back to university to study a Masters in Real Estate. This is a one year course, then after 2 years of working I can sit an exam which if I pass become a chartered surveyor. 

I realise this drastic change isn't essential but I couldn't face the thought of working as a physio with limited available progression in the long-term. I thought for a little sacrifice (a years hard work and no pay) it will be worth it in the end! I'm hopeful that working around property on a daily basis will not only be more interesting, but helpful in my own property investment. 

I own my own property (with my husband) but no investment properties yet. We are pro savers but have been happily spending these savings until now - travelling, getting married and buying a house! Hopefully once I get a job as a graduate surveyor we will be able to use all my income to save and put towards properties. We currently have around £15k saved. 

The plan is to purchase our first buy-to-let property in 2021 (so with a years saving post uni). We would then be able to save for another property after 2 more years. We plan to sit down with an accountant once i'm in a job and work out whether a ltd company is the best route for us or not. 

In the short-term if anyone needs advice about physio for someone who has had a stroke or a spinal injury then i'm your girl! If you wait a year then I should be able to help with something actually relating to property, i.e. surveying. I'm particularly interested as Crewe and Sheffield as places to invest. 

I love to read peoples stories about how they started and what they are doing now. If anyone got into property via an alternative route or has any hints/tips about sheffield or crewe then please do let me know :)

Thanks in advance,

Helena

Hi Helena,

Any investment in yourself is always a good idea, especially if you weren't happy in the place you (unfortunately) spent a big portion of your time!

In my opinion with property investment you wouldn't necessarily need to do a Masters in Real Estate to be a good property investor, but it sounds like you want to work in the industry so you will for sure be getting hold of some very valuable information and use this for your own ventures. 

My tips for you and your partner to get you both started in property investing is making sure your strategy is sorted and well defined. Don't under estimate this.
1. Why are you getting into property & what's your end goal? (Is it to take control of your retirement / is it to replace your income etc.)
2. What property strategy is the right one to achieve your goal? (Consider capital requirements and restrictions of your budget and how you can make the most of it)
3. Once you're sorted with the above, get a great team behind you. Especially a good mortgage broker (make sure to scout well on this) and a good conveyancer.  
4. Be patient. The snowball effect takes a while to kick in. Although 2-3 single let properties aren't enough to quit your day job and live off that income, it will be a good starter to get you the 4th and 5th property and so on. It will take a few years but there are strategies out there to assist you recycling cash and go again (assuming you want to have more than 1 property).  

Keep educating yourself (this is where you've nailed it with your Masters). Keep listening to the property podcast guys and read their material. The content on here is fabulous! Don't be afraid to branch out and read/watch material from other content providers but do make up your mind on what's best for you and your partner. Just be careful of those content providers who are heavily on social media saying you can be financially free in 7 days and want you to sign up to their training courses :) 

Good luck and I hope you manage to get yourself a Distinction!! 

Hello Helen, 

Great to hear about your change of direction - congratulations!

I too am just about to embark on a Masters Degree in Real Estate Investment and Finance, which I am very excited about. By the sounds of it my reasoning is much aligned to yours - wanting a clear career progression path, combining career and investment aspirations as well as providing further credibility to help source investment in the future. 

I have actually just purchased my first property in Crewe, a mid-market BTL in a decent area close to the retail park. If you and your husband are keen to find out more about good areas within Crewe it would be great to chat some more.

I'm a keen rugby player also so your physiotherapy might come in handy!

Best wishes, 

Jack

On 9/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, Rafael said:

Hi Helena,

Any investment in yourself is always a good idea, especially if you weren't happy in the place you (unfortunately) spent a big portion of your time!

In my opinion with property investment you wouldn't necessarily need to do a Masters in Real Estate to be a good property investor, but it sounds like you want to work in the industry so you will for sure be getting hold of some very valuable information and use this for your own ventures. 

My tips for you and your partner to get you both started in property investing is making sure your strategy is sorted and well defined. Don't under estimate this.
1. Why are you getting into property & what's your end goal? (Is it to take control of your retirement / is it to replace your income etc.)
2. What property strategy is the right one to achieve your goal? (Consider capital requirements and restrictions of your budget and how you can make the most of it)
3. Once you're sorted with the above, get a great team behind you. Especially a good mortgage broker (make sure to scout well on this) and a good conveyancer.  
4. Be patient. The snowball effect takes a while to kick in. Although 2-3 single let properties aren't enough to quit your day job and live off that income, it will be a good starter to get you the 4th and 5th property and so on. It will take a few years but there are strategies out there to assist you recycling cash and go again (assuming you want to have more than 1 property).  

Keep educating yourself (this is where you've nailed it with your Masters). Keep listening to the property podcast guys and read their material. The content on here is fabulous! Don't be afraid to branch out and read/watch material from other content providers but do make up your mind on what's best for you and your partner. Just be careful of those content providers who are heavily on social media saying you can be financially free in 7 days and want you to sign up to their training courses :) 

Good luck and I hope you manage to get yourself a Distinction!! 

Hi Rafael, 

Thanks so much for such a detailed response. 

I agree, it was a big decision about whether to do the masters or just stay in my job and save up until I could go into it full-time. Hopefully i've made the right decision!

We've had a big think about that and the 'goal' is for £3k monthly income after tax. I'm aware I will need numerous houses to achieve that but like you say it should be easier to build the portfolio as it gets bigger! I will have a good look into a good mortgage broker and conveyancer thanks, would you recommend getting ones based near the property you purchase or does it not really matter? 

I see you're in Milton Keynes, is that where you invest? That's actually where I was working and I was really impressed by the town. There are some lovely areas, great road links and so many lakes! 

Thanks, i'm currently one week in but fingers crossed for a distinction :) 

On 9/18/2019 at 5:20 PM, jack shields said:

Hello Helen, 

Great to hear about your change of direction - congratulations!

I too am just about to embark on a Masters Degree in Real Estate Investment and Finance, which I am very excited about. By the sounds of it my reasoning is much aligned to yours - wanting a clear career progression path, combining career and investment aspirations as well as providing further credibility to help source investment in the future. 

I have actually just purchased my first property in Crewe, a mid-market BTL in a decent area close to the retail park. If you and your husband are keen to find out more about good areas within Crewe it would be great to chat some more.

I'm a keen rugby player also so your physiotherapy might come in handy!

Best wishes, 

Jack

Hi Jack,

Ah amazing, good luck! Where are you studying? Are you going straight into it or what was your career before?

Well done buying your first property :). That would be great, my email is helena-parker@hotmail.co.uk if that's easier.

Helena

Hi Helena

Welcome to the forum!

Property is a really exciting industry to get into, but maybe I'm a little biased ;) so here's wishing you the best of luck with uni and indeed with your future goals.

You've come to the right place to meet likeminded people who are more than happy to share their experiences with you, and it sounds like you have a solid goal which is always the biggie to start with. 

As Rafael said (and thank you Rafael for your kind words about our content), you can keep learning and educating yourself on the world of property investment via this forum, the podcast and the education sections on the site which are updated regularly. 

Best of luck, and please do keep us updated on your journey. 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:55 AM, T J said:

Hi Helena

Welcome to the forum!

Property is a really exciting industry to get into, but maybe I'm a little biased ;) so here's wishing you the best of luck with uni and indeed with your future goals.

You've come to the right place to meet likeminded people who are more than happy to share their experiences with you, and it sounds like you have a solid goal which is always the biggie to start with. 

As Rafael said (and thank you Rafael for your kind words about our content), you can keep learning and educating yourself on the world of property investment via this forum, the podcast and the education sections on the site which are updated regularly. 

Best of luck, and please do keep us updated on your journey. 

Hi T J,

Thank you very much! I've actually discovered I was a member since back in 2014 - however I was only ever having a 'quick look around'.

I'm definitely catching up on the education side of things... listened to about 80 podcasts but lots still to listen to! 

Thanks for the comment and like you say, i'll post some updates as and when I have some :)