tomo222

Is this Damp? What tradesmen to get in?

Hi,

I have the following symptoms (that appears to be damp) in master bedroom en-suite of a portfolio property. You can see the on the inside there are marks on the ceiling, but also there seems to be almost crumbling or erosion of the wall/paint by the bathroom window. Interestingly, on the outside the brick work also looks to be exposed with some sort of erosion. I wonder if water is seeping in here...

Please see the attached photos.

1) Can anyone help confirm what these symptoms appear to be?

2) What type of tradesmen would I look to get in to fix remedy this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_20200129_110123176.jpg

IMG_20200129_110054379.jpg

IMG_20200129_110112290.jpg

IMG_20200129_110034004.jpg

IMG_20200129_105752310.jpg

IMG_20200129_105709283.jpg

IMG_20200129_105643713.jpg

Looks like the damp patches are being caused by condensation. Get a painter in to treat the damp with damp seal and then make sure he uses bathroom paint when he recoats the ceiling. 

Might also be worth checking the insulation above the ceiling has been installed right to the edge as a cold ceiling will make the problem worse. Cement above lintel and window is pretty poorly finished but shouldn’t be causing the problem. 

The brickwork above window is poor. It looks like the bricks above it are held in by squirty foam, they're even pointed up with the stuff! 

The lintel is exposed and is likely causing some cold bridging. It would be worth having a roofer look and see if there are any felt trays and vents are installed. 

The mould will be caused by condensation, fix the window and any roof issues while ensuring the room is adequately ventilated. Make sure the fan is working and adequate. 

18 hours ago, paulrybak said:

The brickwork above window is poor. It looks like the bricks above it are held in by squirty foam, they're even pointed up with the stuff! 

The lintel is exposed and is likely causing some cold bridging. It would be worth having a roofer look and see if there are any felt trays and vents are installed. 

The mould will be caused by condensation, fix the window and any roof issues while ensuring the room is adequately ventilated. Make sure the fan is working and adequate. 

Hi, thanks for your reply! When you say "fix the window", could you provide a little more detail as what the fix would be and what trade would it? I assume that isn the roofer's job you referred to? thanks a bunch!

18 hours ago, Craig W M said:

Looks like the damp patches are being caused by condensation. Get a painter in to treat the damp with damp seal and then make sure he uses bathroom paint when he recoats the ceiling. 

Might also be worth checking the insulation above the ceiling has been installed right to the edge as a cold ceiling will make the problem worse. Cement above lintel and window is pretty poorly finished but shouldn’t be causing the problem. 

Thanks for your message!

1. Would a painter also fix this issue on the inside of the window (see pic)?

2. Contact any older painter or should I google for something more particular like "damp experts" ?

Cheers

IMG_20200129_110034004.jpg

Yes, any old painter will fix these issues. It's just dampness getting under the paint and into the plasterboard. You should probably get the sealant or caulk between the window frame and the plasterboard done again as it looks like there's not much there. Again a painter will do this.

I've had the same issues in my own house and repaired them myself. Even with the fan on and the window open the steam condenses on the wall when it meets the cold air. Just try wiping the ceiling after you've showered and see how damp it is! That's why it's important to use bathroom paint as it stops the dampness soaking in like it does with normal emulsion. Unfortunately house builders don't use it as it's more expensive and this is what happens. I've had no problems since doing the above repairs.