purplekim

BTL next door causing damage to my BTL

This is a strange one as it is with another BTL landlord.

I own a BTL property which has another BTL property next door.  There is plastic roof which has been put up in the garden, the water from rain empties onto my side garden and has caused the wall to erode and become moss filled with  mushrooms and weeds growing in the cracks.  I painted and repaired this wall last year and spoke with the landlord next door about putting in proper drainage so it goes into his garden not mine.  This was in August and he has been making me promises he will do it etc.  Now it's Feb 2020 my wall is again all green and slimy and the repair hasn't been done. I've called the council and they haven't done anything, landlords require a licence to operate in the area which I am fully complaint with.

Any suggestions on what to?

I've attached photos, the wall is between the 2 houses at the back (garden end) and he has built a plastic temp building (up for over 10 years from my understanding) when it raining the water drops onto the wall and as you can see it is now full of mildew again.  It happens as he has no guttering and everything runs down the wall into my garden.  The wall is the left hand side which he is responsible for.

I have been very accommodating to get it resolved amicably and he has promised to have it fixed but it still hasn't be done.  This was from last year in May 2019.

PHOTO-2020-02-11-15-56-19.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-11-15-56-22.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-11-15-56-15.jpg

Wow that is shocking!

I would complian to your local planning department and show them these photographs.

You have boundary issues here and tempory structures without proper consideration for neighbours.

None of what you show here is allowed.

Boundaries have to be a maximum of 2 meters high.

Tempory structures still have to comply with basic building regs and allowing surface/rain water to flow onto neighbouring properties isn't one of them!

Your council should act on this complaint. If not you have the right to complain to your council for their lack of action.

Dont give up

Conrad

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-paton-424446110

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have been in touch with the council and they want to mediate between us - have both of present to sort out the issue.  However that still means I am now having to fork out for the payment to fix my side of of the wall again.

Regards to proof, I have made a note of all the messages and photos between us and the promises he made, way out of 2 weeks even after continuous chasing.  he expects his tenant to fix the wall and I made him aware that its his responsibility as a landlord.

So should I go small claims or would the council be a better way forward.

Thank you in advance.

5 hours ago, purplekim said:

....he expects his tenant to fix the wall and I made him aware that its his responsibility as a landlord.

So should I go small claims or would the council be a better way forward.

Define wall??

You are talking about the boundary wall that is suffering water damage or the rear wall of your house.

If boundary wall who has responsibility over its maintenance?

If your neighbour then you cannot force him to repair it.

I would go down the council mediation route, before any court. If you have tried mediation and apply to the court as a 'last resort' your situation may be looked upon more favourably by a magistrate.

However council mediation is usually outsourced, and can be like hitting your head with a soft spongy mallet while expressing your fluffy feelings about your neighbour and having to listen to excuses from them about why his rainwater is in your garden. All the time your being told not to get angry or confrontational and to keep an open mind about the situation.

I really wish you luck

Conrad

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-paton-424446110