Boggy grounds

Apologies for the less than attractive subject title.

In one of my rentals the garden is very boggy at the back. Its split level, the back third is raised about 2 foot.

It's almost like water is coming from under the raised ground to the bottom split level at the back causing it to be boggy.

I know it cannot be diagnosed over the internet but I'm stumped who to ask, do I ask Yorkshire Water in case it's a pipe, a gardner, a plumber? If the raised level needed to be broken down it would be quite expensive, plus access is limited because it's a mid terrace (of 3).

Any ideas welcomed.

The water company should have an idea if a water main is located under the land. Its worth chatting with them first. Also your insurance may cover part or all of any investigation and remedial work. 

From what you describe it does sound like water under pressure is escaping so I'd be surprised if the water company weren't interested. 

7 hours ago, paulrybak said:

The water company should have an idea if a water main is located under the land. Its worth chatting with them first. Also your insurance may cover part or all of any investigation and remedial work. 

From what you describe it does sound like water under pressure is escaping so I'd be surprised if the water company weren't interested. 

Thank you. I rang the water board yesterday evening, they've agreed to call me within 14 days to arrange an appointment.

I might need to dig the insurance papers out just in case the water company cant fix it. It's definitely a first for me, like you say, with it coming from underneath I'm assuming it's a water company issue.

Hi Nicholas, I’m in Yorkshire and had similar for 6 months with Yorkshire water. Call them and they’ll open a case file. Then they should come out and investigate, at first they tested mine, said it wasn’t chlorinated told me must be ground water case closed. I went to council offices to get pipe map and ground water map. No ground water. Called Yorkshire water back and said I was going to get a private company out / reopened case, retested water chlorinated so likely pipe/pressure / then covid hit, kept saying they’d get back to me.  Three of my neighbours called, new case opened - came immediately! and did overnight acoustic test, low and behold - we’ve heard nothing but roads are now marked out for digging up! They said the pipe maps are notoriously out of date, the systems old and they really didn’t want me to go private. But it did take 4 people pressuring to get it sorted, meanwhile expect my house could sink in a bog any minute! 

keep persisting! 

1 hour ago, emmajayne said:

Hi Nicholas, I’m in Yorkshire and had similar for 6 months with Yorkshire water. Call them and they’ll open a case file. Then they should come out and investigate, at first they tested mine, said it wasn’t chlorinated told me must be ground water case closed. I went to council offices to get pipe map and ground water map. No ground water. Called Yorkshire water back and said I was going to get a private company out / reopened case, retested water chlorinated so likely pipe/pressure / then covid hit, kept saying they’d get back to me.  Three of my neighbours called, new case opened - came immediately! and did overnight acoustic test, low and behold - we’ve heard nothing but roads are now marked out for digging up! They said the pipe maps are notoriously out of date, the systems old and they really didn’t want me to go private. But it did take 4 people pressuring to get it sorted, meanwhile expect my house could sink in a bog any minute! 

keep persisting! 

Thank you. That's worrying to hear. I've spoken to a neighbour who has a similar problem so I'll ask them to call Yorkshire Water as well. Quite frustrating because usually if anything goes wrong in a house I have someone to call on, but relying on YW to call me back within 14 days, to arrange an apt within 28 days from the call (their words) is quite worrying and I feel bad for the tenant but there's not a lot I can do. I want to put a new fence in but reluctant to do so in case they start digging the ground up.

Are you still experiencing the problem now? What department did you contact in the council for the maps? 

Think you have to keep phoning - also threat of getting private company involved to trace the water seems to help. I asked them if it was found to be their fault after all who I should send the bill to! Someone came the next day! 
I had to go to customer first office in Halifax in person - before lockdown. They were really helpful and printed the maps off the system. You can get water pipe maps from their surveyors online service think about 30 quid, but didn’t really help as not reliable apparently? 

1 hour ago, emmajayne said:

Think you have to keep phoning - also threat of getting private company involved to trace the water seems to help. I asked them if it was found to be their fault after all who I should send the bill to! Someone came the next day! 
I had to go to customer first office in Halifax in person - before lockdown. They were really helpful and printed the maps off the system. You can get water pipe maps from their surveyors online service think about 30 quid, but didn’t really help as not reliable apparently? 

Ah right, I won't bother with the maps for now. 

I'll bear that in mind about threatening to go private and invoicing them. Incidentally who would you even approach privately? I'm not sure where to start with that one.