Jump to content

My BTL calculator


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

For anyone interested I wanted to share this calculator I put together to analyse BTL and buy-refurb-refinance deals:

https://www.thepropertycalculator.co.uk/

I have been using an excel sheet for a few years and decided to build this web version so I can easily access it and to simplify the interface a bit. There are still some enhancements to be made and it's not as sophisticated as some calculators I've seen but it works well for my needs. 

I'd really appreciate any feedback you have. Feel free to use it yourself if you like it, it would be great if it helps others on their property journey too.

Anton

 

Link to post

Nice work Anton. Seems to all work based on the various options I clicked around. 

I think the benefit of a s/sheet over a web-based calculator is the ability the compare deals and offers. Would there be an option to say, save Deal 1, then re-run the figures for Deal 2 then compare?

You may have come across the Bigger Pockets rental calculator. Although it's US based, perhaps something like that would be good, where you can then print out the analysis as a PDF which you can either use yourself or show investors if you're a sourcer? 

Personal Blog: https://abcdad.co.uk
Property Spreadsheet and Deal Analyser: https://abcdad.co.uk/property-spreadsheet
Looking to read some Property books? https://abcdad.co.uk/books/property-books
Follow on Instagram: @abc.dad

Link to post

Thanks DerekT I appreciate the feedback.

I agree it would be useful to be able to save and compare deals. It's one for me to think about. If I can find a way to incorporate it I will.

Yes, in fact Bigger Pockets was a big inspiration for my version. I like that calculator a lot... if only they had a UK version... 

Link to post

I think having a field where it tells you the worth of your property at the end of your term assuming the % increase is kept would be good, so you know that after 5 years, you would have been getting x% ROI as well as y% capital growth.

 

Great idea though, I have also just been using excel sheets.

 

Link to post

Well done. It would be great to see the addition of these:

- disable or enable StampDuty tax as some might be 1st time buyers

- more detailed financing fees including: valuation or survey fees as well as early repayment fees, perhaps mortgage valuation fees

Link to post

Looks really good to me. I think a few people above have raised some good pointers. On the Martin Lewis one is shows you interest vs repayment and the total amount paid. If you could build in a projected capital value at the end of a specific term with a user input percentage for average value increase per annum that would be great. 

Am I being OTT?

Link to post

Having all this input is fantastic. Thank you all!

I made the changes mentioned that were quick and made a note of the rest which I will see if I can include as part of a revised version in the near future.

 

On 6/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, yaacov said:

I would like to know how you worked out the Rental ROI - post-tax Individual. Does this take into account all the 'allowable expenses'? 

There is a breakdown of the expenses included if you click the "Expense breakdown" bar and I have now added a free field for you to add any additional allowable expenses.

 

6 hours ago, wookash said:

disable or enable StampDuty tax as some might be 1st time buyers

Now included. There is a checkbox in the Additional Detail dropdown bar. Good call.

 

7 hours ago, sam jeal said:

I think having a field where it tells you the worth of your property at the end of your term assuming the % increase is kept would be good, so you know that after 5 years, you would have been getting x% ROI as well as y% capital growth.

3 hours ago, nicholas_b said:

If you could build in a projected capital value at the end of a specific term with a user input percentage for average value increase per annum that would be great. 

...you read my mind! Not OTT at all, it's much appreciated. I had some of the calculations to do this behind the scenes already and have made a basic Capital Appreciation section for now. I will add more indepth figures like annualised ROI and flip ROI soon.

I would love to add some fancy charts and the ability for you to save your own template but I am a bit restricted by the software I am using. I am tempted to try coding it from scratch as a fun challenge. Depends how much interest it gets :) 

Thanks again all for your thoughts

Anton

 

Link to post
On 5/30/2020 at 8:39 PM, toosquared said:

Hi all,

For anyone interested I wanted to share this calculator I put together to analyse BTL and buy-refurb-refinance deals:

https://www.thepropertycalculator.co.uk/

I have been using an excel sheet for a few years and decided to build this web version so I can easily access it and to simplify the interface a bit. There are still some enhancements to be made and it's not as sophisticated as some calculators I've seen but it works well for my needs. 

I'd really appreciate any feedback you have. Feel free to use it yourself if you like it, it would be great if it helps others on their property journey too.

Anton

 

Love it - added to my Property Favourites toolbar!

 

Many thanks!

Link to post
1 hour ago, wookash said:

Also I'm not sure if that's only me but wouldn't it be more intuitive to have Total inc - expenses = net profit? Rather than expenses as a result?

Good catch, I must have swapped those two around by accident when making changes. I have swapped them back now.

Link to post

I have been working on an excel version for a little while, but by no means an expert in excel. I tend to prefer excel because I can so easily make changes to the inputs and see immediate real-time results, but I think this online option is great.

I have attached an image of what I am using - not sure about the quality/resolution, and it isn't for a specific property.

I prefer too much information rather than not enough - my goal is to get as much information available as possible on one spreadsheet (present financials, projections, location indicators, stress testing etc.) Feel free to point out anything I may be doing wrong if you can actually read the damn thing!

Due Diligence Mapping.JPG

Link to post

Very impressive cmaherdoyle! Some serious data there. Few queries from a fellow spreadie lover:

  • How long does it take to input all the info for a property?
  • Guessing you have set criteria for the different ratings of A, B, C etc. ?
  • Do you use all the outputs and future projections?  

Personal Blog: https://abcdad.co.uk
Property Spreadsheet and Deal Analyser: https://abcdad.co.uk/property-spreadsheet
Looking to read some Property books? https://abcdad.co.uk/books/property-books
Follow on Instagram: @abc.dad

Link to post
9 hours ago, DerekT said:

Very impressive cmaherdoyle! Some serious data there. Few queries from a fellow spreadie lover:

  • How long does it take to input all the info for a property?
  • Guessing you have set criteria for the different ratings of A, B, C etc. ?
  • Do you use all the outputs and future projections?  

Hi Derek,

Thanks! It's all pretty amateurish from me, but the numbers seem to work after cross checking stuff.

 

1. The white cells in the very top left (I think there is 8 of them) are the only financial inputs. Even some of those stay the same for quick checks (e.g. Mortgage Interest rates will typically be an estimate of where current rates are, until we have a concrete mortgage offer). It takes 20 seconds or so. Everything else is generated automatically but can be edited if necessary (i.e letting fees calculated at 10% of rental income, void allowance set at 8% etc.).

2. This is the part I find interesting, and am hoping to look at refining/developing. They are graded based on set parameters I have deemed would qualify them as 'A', 'B' 'C' etc. A large degree of personal preference here, and impacted by the type of property you are purchasing (i.e. should grading a city-centre flat and a suburban terrace on 'Proximity to City Centre' follow the same parameters?). They need refining, but are the indicators I find most interesting. At present, from memory, I think a property must be within 2.5 miles of the City Centre to get a 'C', for example. I know that 'location' can never be distilled to an objective calculation, but I think it can do some of the legwork.

3. Some are more useful than others. I look at them as a guide with broad strokes; the increase in value is typically calculated from an average of growth in that area over the last 5 years.

 

Any other questions, just fire them over.

Link to post
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/10/2020 at 12:56 AM, cmaherdoyle said:

I have been working on an excel version for a little while, but by no means an expert in excel. I tend to prefer excel because I can so easily make changes to the inputs and see immediate real-time results, but I think this online option is great.

I have attached an image of what I am using - not sure about the quality/resolution, and it isn't for a specific property.

I prefer too much information rather than not enough - my goal is to get as much information available as possible on one spreadsheet (present financials, projections, location indicators, stress testing etc.) Feel free to point out anything I may be doing wrong if you can actually read the damn thing!

Due Diligence Mapping.JPG

This is very impressive!  Is it too cheeky to ask for a copy?  I'm just starting my journey as a property investor and this looks like it will help immensely.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Patrick C said:

New investor here - is maintenance typically factored in as 25% of monthly rent? That seems extortionate? 

Hi Patrick and welcome.

I think you are right, maintenance at 25% is probably a bit steep. When I put the calculator together I tried to be very conservative with the default assumptions. Maintenance in this instance includes everything from insurance, tenancy renewals, gas safety certificates and big costs like a new kitchen which would wipe out many months of rent so I set it high because I didn't want to cover up the true cost of BTL but I agree we should look at it again.

I would welcome any feedback from others on what maintenance should be as a % of rental income?

 

 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...