arjunb

Mould in between the walls

Hi all,

There seems to be a growing mould smell in between two walls in my home. One is a brick wall & the other is a plasterboard wall. After some rain over the past few days, the smell is getting noticeably worse.

The smell itself is actually coming from the floor & the skirting boards. There is also a brick vent in the wall & it reeks of the mould smell, but it isn't wet at all. A photo of the vent is attached.

Any thoughts on what this smell might be or where it is coming from? I think it may be a leak from the roof somewhere that is dripping on to the floor between the two walls.

Looking forward to your comments. Thank you!

IMG_0845.JPG

Is the vent anywhere near a chimney breast? If you have an uncapped chimney water maybe getting in down the chimney and out causing damp to take an easy route. Hard to tell much from the picture really I'm afraid.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:09 AM, julia urquhart said:

Is the vent anywhere near a chimney breast? If you have an uncapped chimney water maybe getting in down the chimney and out causing damp to take an easy route. Hard to tell much from the picture really I'm afraid.

Thanks for your reply Julia. The vent isn't particularly close to a chimney breast, but something to tell my roofer for sure. Thanks very much again!

Hi - start with the basics first and look for signs of a broken or missing roof tile, damaged flashing or signs of old mortar that has come out and dropped on the floor. It sounds like a new problem, so something has changed recently and you need to find out what. Can’t tell much from the photo I am afraid. Good luck sorting this out.