Newbie in Worcestershire

Hi. I'm new to BTL - still at the knowledge gathering stage but I hope to do a first investment before end of stamp duty holiday. Although I'm not yet 100% clear on a strategy, one thing I am pretty sure of is that I want to stay local, at least at first. For me that means towns I know - Worcester, Cheltenham, Malvern, Tewkesbury and a couple of others. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on those places if you have any. I'm aware of the advantages of looking nationwide but it doesn't feel right at this early stage.

My property background: unencumbered homeowner, experience of working in mortgages for one of the big banks (although on the analytics side). I guess my goal is to build an alternative income and be increasingly involved in property. I don't really think in terms of retirement, more transitioning from the things I have to do to the things I want to do.

One thing I need to step up is networking and knowledge sharing. If anyone has a vacancy in a network group, let me know! Also I'd be very happy to start a new one if any others are up for it. Virtual is fine so it doesn't matter where you are.