Any one use Open Rent?

Looking to be more hands on with property and am expanding into our no2 and 3 BTLs. 

Previous agent we liked but was very arms length in terms of management, the trades people instructed were not great and it often took a long time for call outs etc.

off the back of a refurb we have some good contacts now for trades and handymen. 

Does anyone on here use open rent or used open rent previously??

thanks 

Hi. I haven't used them, but I self manage. Why not just use a good local agent to do a tenant find? They take pics, tell you market rent, do credit checks and references and draw up the tenancy, for just a few hundred pound. I attend the viewings and personally show them round and speak to them to get a flavour for them and equally so they know me too, instead of it being arms length. Just one to consider.

I love Openrent and have used it several times. I only use it to advertise and reference. As I own property in Scotland, the tenancy documents aren't suitable.

I have always self managed. I started to save money as I thought it seemed a lot of money for what an agent does. I also wanted to learn the process. That's just me, I enjoy property. Now 3 years on I can see the benefits of an agent but could I find one that does it as well as me? My main hassle is maintenance. I can do most of the work myself and like you, now have plenty contacts but problems always seem to come at the wrong times! 

If you have any more questions about Openrent just ask but I’d appreciate if you would consider using the link below as it gives us both a free advert. What have you got to loose!!

http://www.openrent.co.uk/invite/1943377

Thanks

Craig.

6 hours ago, haf1963 said:

I have done all 3 - used an agent, done it myself and now use openrent. I find openrent lowcost and pretty effective at handling client enquiries etc and frees up my time. Agent is better if you want to be totally hands off

Hi,

it’s just the cost really. The agency that have let our place out charging 10%+ VAT charges £365+ VAT for tenant find. The tradesman contacts through the agent haven’t delivered brilliantly and some of the work hasn’t been as I would expect at all.

im looking to grow my portfolio from 1 (currently being re-financed ) to 4 over the next 12 months. Based on my current agent, I’d be paying Just shy of £300 per month in monthly agent fees alone, that’s a big number over the next 20years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, Craig WM said:

I love Openrent and have used it several times. I only use it to advertise and reference. As I own property in Scotland, the tenancy documents aren't suitable.

I have always self managed. I started to save money as I thought it seemed a lot of money for what an agent does. I also wanted to learn the process. That's just me, I enjoy property. Now 3 years on I can see the benefits of an agent but could I find one that does it as well as me? My main hassle is maintenance. I can do most of the work myself and like you, now have plenty contacts but problems always seem to come at the wrong times! 

If you have any more questions about Openrent just ask but I’d appreciate if you would consider using the link below as it gives us both a free advert. What have you got to loose!!

http://www.openrent.co.uk/invite/1943377

Thanks

Craig.

Hi Craig,

How do your find the quality of references through open rent and the credit checking? Are they reliable?

Yes very detailed referencing for only £20 per tenant. I use the comprehensive referencing. It’s the same price as the Speedy reference but includes previous landlord check, affordability rating and employer income check. It also allows you to take out rent guarantee insurance but that’s suspended for now. Wonder why ;)  

HI,

I've used Open Rent three times now and am a big fan.  Its a very simple platform to use and and steps you through the whole process.  I'm self employed so my time is flexible which means i can advertise my properties, see potential candidates and tie everything up way quicker than relying on Agents.  Its also a lot cheaper than going through an agent and everything can be done through them including reference checks, inventory reports, contracts, deposit registration and insurances plus reminders for things such as Gas Safety checks.  Its also a good way to learn about all the things you need to do to be a landlord.  When you advertise through them you also go on Rightmove and Zoopla. 

Definitely worth doing if you have the time!

Also use Open Rent.  My past 3 tenancies with them.  The credit checks can be quite harsh, i've had perfectly good tenants on 2 occasions that failed for lack of credit history and so had to get guarantors but you only have to concern yourself with that if you want to take out their rent guarantee insurance, otherwise it's your decision as to whether to proceed.  I'd definitely recommend them and choose over an estate agent any day especially if you're looking to self manage now.  One tip, use their messaging service for viewings as it sends reminders and is less work for you.  I also find block back to back viewings helpful in case you get any messing around.  I started using OpenRent originally coz the estate agent wasn't getting any interest, I got loads through OpenRent!  (this was before they banned fees so possibly why).  All the best!