Jump to content

50% rule for side extensions


Recommended Posts

Hi Ian

 

I was wondering if you can help me, Im looking for a little advice concerning the 50% of existing frontage rule for side extensions, Ive had plans drawn up for a double storey side extension which goes over by approx 400mm, 3038mm with 50% being 2625mm, however they have agreed to 2813 (bwk dim) but we do need that 3038mm externally to give us the internal space we need order to have a decent size bedroom above for my family with another child on the way, what the Planners are allowing me as per the SPD isnt practicable even with the extra out to 2813mm as doing the furniture plan its apparent that it would be too small and at the moment they won't allow any further as they dont want to set a precedence, I have seen many approved extensions go over the 50% rule although I do understand that ours would be the first in my Close, but for an extra 215mm which would give us the workable space we need there lack of support is disappointing and at a time when I thought Planning where easing up a little to help homeowners extend and stay in there homes as moving would be expensive and a massive logistical strain on us, so my question is, is there anyway around this or can I challenge this as I cant really afford to move and we will have to do if I can't get this extension built, could you please give me some advice, I've tried to attach our revised plans both the supported width and the non supported but it wont let me attach pdfs.

 

Cheers

 

Gareth

Link to post

Hi Gareth,

Planning consultant here - from what you have said, it could be tricky in the first instance. As an SPD is just guidance rather than hard and fast rules, in some situations exceeding the SPD may be acceptable. Having said that, a side extension being a maximum of 50% of the width of the original house is fairly standard around the country. Without seeing your property or the proposals, it is difficult to give an assessment at this stage. If the Council really aren't budging then you can always put an application in and if it is refused appeal the decision. Appeals are determined by a separate body called the Planning Inspectorate, not by the Council. 

If you can find nearby examples of planning permission given recently (especially after the Council's SPD was adopted) for extensions that exceed 50% of the width of the original house then that might help your cause, but there may be either specific circumstances for each one, they will have been approved before the SPD was adopted or in some cases may not benefit from planning permission at all!

Happy to help with any other questions

Thanks

Tom

Link to post

I have done a few extensions in my time and never has any building inspector measured anything at all in terms of height/width/depth - they only seem to care about foundations/drains/insulation/etc. The bricklayers do their marking out etc but no-one is going down to the last mm for sure. Not that I am suggesting you do anything 'incorrect'

Link to post
13 minutes ago, haf1963 said:

I have done a few extensions in my time and never has any building inspector measured anything at all in terms of height/width/depth - they only seem to care about foundations/drains/insulation/etc. The bricklayers do their marking out etc but no-one is going down to the last mm for sure. Not that I am suggesting you do anything 'incorrect'

Thats very true mate, and I get what you mean for an extra 215mm, cheers for your comment  👍

Link to post
1 hour ago, tom_bradfield said:

Hi Gareth,

Planning consultant here - from what you have said, it could be tricky in the first instance. As an SPD is just guidance rather than hard and fast rules, in some situations exceeding the SPD may be acceptable. Having said that, a side extension being a maximum of 50% of the width of the original house is fairly standard around the country. Without seeing your property or the proposals, it is difficult to give an assessment at this stage. If the Council really aren't budging then you can always put an application in and if it is refused appeal the decision. Appeals are determined by a separate body called the Planning Inspectorate, not by the Council. 

If you can find nearby examples of planning permission given recently (especially after the Council's SPD was adopted) for extensions that exceed 50% of the width of the original house then that might help your cause, but there may be either specific circumstances for each one, they will have been approved before the SPD was adopted or in some cases may not benefit from planning permission at all!

Happy to help with any other questions

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply, if you could give me an email address I could send you the plans as it wont let me upload the pdfs

Cheers

Gareth

Link to post

Hi,

Email address is tom.bradfield@berrys.uk.com. 

With regards haf1963's comment - I agree, whilst a building inspector may not check up on the dimensions all it takes is a planning officer to notice (or a neighbour to notice and tell them!) and you could get into all sorts of trouble with the planning enforcement team, to the point where you could have to demolish and rebuild to be in accordance with the plans

Tom

Link to post
7 minutes ago, tom_bradfield said:

Hi,

Email address is tom.bradfield@berrys.uk.com. 

With regards haf1963's comment - I agree, whilst a building inspector may not check up on the dimensions all it takes is a planning officer to notice (or a neighbour to notice and tell them!) and you could get into all sorts of trouble with the planning enforcement team, to the point where you could have to demolish and rebuild to be in accordance with the plans

Tom

Cheers Tom, I will send now 👍

Link to post
1 hour ago, tom_bradfield said:

With regards haf1963's comment - I agree, whilst a building inspector may not check up on the dimensions all it takes is a planning officer to notice (or a neighbour to notice and tell them!) and you could get into all sorts of trouble with the planning enforcement team, to the point where you could have to demolish and rebuild to be in accordance with the plans

Tom

I would echo this, building control are principally concerned with the quality of construction; Planning are concerned with the extent and appearance of construction. Planning are unlikely to proactively inspect to check compliance, but where objection/complain is made they will investigate.  If breached, they have enforcement powers. 
 

Id caution on an application with intent to appeal, appeal is expensive in time and cost; and you need to have your ducks lined up in terms of justification (eg. citing past developments where the guidance has been waived). 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...