Condensation problems - Victorian terraced house

Hi just after some advice from anyone who’s experienced this problem

! I’ve just had an offer accepted on a previously tenanted, 2 bed end of terrace Victorian property. The house has clearly suffered from condensation in many rooms, evidence of this includes repainting and wiping down with frequent attempts to paint over the damp. It seems obvious that the retro fitted upvc windows and doors as well as blocked fireplaces have not allowed the house to breath properly and tenants have clearly never had windows open. I think this may be the reason for the landlord getting out and sell8ng it at a very reasonable price. I’m willing to take the issue on and first thought Is fitting “trickle vents” in all windows as it doesn’t appear to have any at all. Possibly in conjunction with a roof fitted ventilation pump? Does anyone have experience with fixing this issue / advice ? 

many thanks 

You are looking in the right places.  Does it have central heating, are the bathroom/kitchen mechanically vented, is there passive vent chimney and floor voids, has anyone retrofitted insulation and/or other alterations removing airflow in the roofspace.  

As and end terrace it is more vulnerable with the uninsulated gable end.  If it’s full refurb, you could seek to insulate external walls as a long term betterment; but either way it’s worth checking pointing/orientation to determine if penetrating damp is contributing.  

Have the blocked fireplaces got vents? If not they should be fairy simple to fit. You also need to exclude any underlying reasons for damp so looking at where the problems are may give you a hint. Condensation is worst behind furniture pushed up against walls, especially on external walls. If they didn't use the heating that also makes things worse.

Check for signs of rising damp downstairs, leaking gutters & down pipes for upstairs. Damp around windows may be signs of poor fitting - have you got FENSA / Certass certificates?

Also worth checking whether the plaster is blown should confirm condensation damp or penetrating damp.

You are right - in most cases it is the lack of breathability and lifestyle that causes the problems so hopefully you will be able to sort it quite easily.

I have found using bathroom paint (which is antimould) can help with condensation & mould behind furniture - eg wardrobes next to fireplaces, so you could consider using that on some walls.

Good luck :)