Any Landlords Out There? Subletting question.

jmoon

Hello, 

Have any landlords that are not living in the location of their properties figured out ways of preventing tenants subletting?  Before or if anyone comes back with management companies.

• Asking a management company is pretty useless, because they always provide notification before they arrive and tenants can always be present for just the day of the inspection and because they have so many properties their check do not tend to be thorough. 

Are there other services that offer decent solutions to this problem bar getting a costly private investigator to monitor things.

Thanks. J

11 hours ago, jmoon said:

Hello, 

Have any landlords that are not living in the location of their properties figured out ways of preventing tenants subletting?  Before or if anyone comes back with management companies.

• Asking a management company is pretty useless, because they always provide notification before they arrive and tenants can always be present for just the day of the inspection and because they have so many properties their check do not tend to be thorough. 

Are there other services that offer decent solutions to this problem bar getting a costly private investigator to monitor things.

Thanks. J

Ultimately it's hard to police everything in the property - you do what you can. At the end of the day, as long as the tenants look after the property and pay rent on time (and neighbours don't complain), I wouldn't really care if they were sub-letting (as long as it doesn't void your insurance etc but if you are unaware then it wouldn't count as non disclosure so probably all fine). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 10:24 PM, sam_f3 said:

Ultimately it's hard to police everything in the property - you do what you can. At the end of the day, as long as the tenants look after the property and pay rent on time (and neighbours don't complain), I wouldn't really care if they were sub-letting (as long as it doesn't void your insurance etc but if you are unaware then it wouldn't count as non disclosure so probably all fine). 

Hello There,  Thank you for replying to this much appreciated. It's true advice, because you want the property continually rented and looked after, I understand that bit and it definitely is blessing when you have good tenants.

However, It's not fair if they're making more than the landlord on say special days, like Easter, Xmas, Valentines, etc. Which in total amounts to more than what landlords are letting it for. Why doesn't somebody (reading this) more intelligent than me, look into it, start a business to tackle it? It would surely make them multi-millionaires. I heard that rents on Glasgow properties were through the roof around COP26, some charging £30k for two weeks, so if tenants sublet for just those two weeks, they can just sit and enjoy it,  that's more than a landlord can bring in in 3+ years on a single property.

All I can think of it a strong tamper proof door, with tamper proof integrated biometrics fingerprint entry, anyone into doors on this site, create this? or have this? So when tenants first arrive it would not let any one else in except the tenants that had their biometric fingerprint scanned into the door. This would help if tenants are thinking of subletting the entire property. For someone in this trade it doesn't sound hard to do, just need to put the technology into the actual door instead of being bolted onto the outside of the door.

Happy trails.