Jump to content

Property solicitor for lease/asset transfer question


Recommended Posts

I am looking for recommendations for a good property solicitor who would be able to advise on property transfer/lease question.

In short, I currently own my house outright (partly because I couldn't get a mortgage due to recently becoming self-employed 🤨). I intend to extend and refurbish the house and subsequently use it as a holiday let. I have a limited company which was set up to run my property business. I could sell the house to that company but that would create a stamp duty liability. Instead I have wondered whether I can lease the property to the business instead and what the mechanics of this would look like.

If anyone has a good solicitor on hand that would be able and happy to provide advice, I would welcome recommendations.

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Hi @Achtel

Tax plays a big part in structuring transactions.  For example, you would have to pay income tax for both your self-employment income and the property income on an on-going basis, and the additional stamp duty liability may overall cost less.  Have your reached out to a tax adviser / solicitor to consider your options first?

For the avoidance of doubt, the above (a) does not constitute legal advice (and no lawyer-client relationship is formed in any way) and (b) is set out for your reference only.


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...