Rob D

Episode 46: HMOs - big returns, but are they for you?

How on earth did we make it to Episode 46 without talking about HMOs? They’ve become a hot topic in recent years as investors have started to focus on cashflow rather than capital growth, so we thought we’d better correct our omission and give them a full episode.

Listen now: http://thepropertyhub.net/tpp046-hmos-big-returns/

What are your views on HMOs? Do they fit with your investing strategy, and are there any benefits or drawbacks we didn't mention?

Let us know below!

Informative podcast this week as usual. From speaking to other investors I realised that many people have a mixed bag of investments, such as both BTL's and HMO's.

However I would like to know in terms of HMO's, do investors prefer investing close to home or across the UK as long as the numbers are right?

My BTO's are close to home. I manage them, not what everyone wants. BTL's, they can be a bit further away, but I kinda like stuff to be close. But, I'm different to most as I also do refurb work and building works, so I can see capital increases in the property I have by doing a quick extension or loft conversion. Which is usually good, because when someone see's you working, you always get offered other work - really odd!!

HMO's can be a pain/ can be good. I comes in phases with my tenants. But I only let to professionals or students and I choose them. You get a gut feel for who will be right. I keep the ages of the people in the house about the same give or take 5 years. I also try to have a communal room.

Hello Rob & Rob,

I'm a fan of the podcast and was thrilled to listen to the HMO recently as I have been researching them.  

I have gone ahead and found one I want to purchase - it is a licensed HMO.  My issue is that my broker cannot find me an HMO mortgage under 8.99% as a first time landlord… ouch!

Looks like licensed HMO's are more difficult to mortgage than a non licences one… I had not realised that.  Here's my question to all - Am I better to buy a house under a regular home mortgage & eventually convert into an HMO?  Do I then after a 2 year fixed mortgage remortgage under an HMO mortgage? or not? How do people break into HMO?

I would appreciate your thoughts to help me get my head around this.

Thank you

Rox

Looks like licensed HMO's are more difficult to mortgage than a non licences one… I had not realised that.  Here's my question to all - Am I better to buy a house under a regular home mortgage & eventually convert into an HMO?  Do I then after a 2 year fixed mortgage remortgage under an HMO mortgage? or not? How do people break into HMO?

Yes, options are far more limited on licensed HMOs - especially if you combine that with being a first-time landlord. Not my area of expertise by any means, but it seems likely that you'd have more options if you weren't a first-time landlord at the point of applying for an HMO mortgage (by owning it as a single let first).

However, risk factors:

• You obviously can't run it as an HMO until you remortgage onto a product that allows it, so the numbers would have to work as a single let in the meantime
  • You'd need a Plan B in case lending is no easier when you get to the point of wanting to remortgage
  • If the area brings in Article 4 in the meantime, you're a bit stuffed!

That's just some ideas off the top of my head though - I'll ask around and try to get a proper broker opinion!

Quick update - I searched around online and found out that I can take out a LLoyds Commercial Repayment Mortgage at a much better rate.  This particular mortgage does not lock me into a fixed term which means in a year or two I can remortgage to a interest only mortgage.  Numbers still seem to work out!  

Thanks

Roxane