Jump to content

Building's Insurance for an empty property

Recommended Posts


Just purchased a property at auction, it needs refurbishment and it will probably be empty for 2-3 months. Can anybody recommend a good buildings insurance company where I could take temporary insurance cover out while it's empty ( say 3 months max ) and then upgrade or change to landlord insurance. Not really been in this position before when I know the property is going to be empty initially for 2 - 3 months. Any info would be appreciated.


The Manchester Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

Link to post

Hi Mark


I have previously used a specialist broker for this:


IPS Insurance Services
T: 0845 108 8161   F: 0845 108 8162
276 High Street, Guildford, GU1 3JL 

Richard W J Brown a.k.a. The Property Voice

Property Investment Strategist

10%+ ROI property deals every week: check out PROPERTY DEAL TIPS
Amazon best-selling author Property Investor Toolkit & #PropTech, YPN Magazine columnist & PODCAST host

Web & Blog: The Property Voice | Curated property news & insights feed

Facebook Page | TwitterLinked In

Let's connect...mention The Property Hub :)

Link to post

Keep in mind, some councils will (even though the rules have changed) will give you £0 council tax - they do in dorset !!


Also, if you have a GAS supply, contact the supplier, tell them you are NOT using the GAS and can they please move you to a fee-free day rate, so you don't pay the 'standing charge', southern electric who supply my gas will do this. You have to ask and be a bit insistant.


You should find an insurance company who will provide insurance. See above references. It's based upon the re-build cost. Best to over estimate this, just in case. Keep in mind, when you get past a certain state - i.e. Not structural works you might be able to re-insure at a lower rate as you will be doing less risky works.

Link to post

Thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated. I went with IPS (cheers Richard ) for the year which includes 3 months empty, then normal landlord insurance for the remaining 9 months with good cover. The premier matched the best quote I had previously recieved for 3 months empty cover only- Result! and I just pay a small supplement if my tenant is on LHA. 


I also get 3 months £0 council tax on an empty property - so there is a bit of a push to get the work done in 3 months. There's nothing like goal setting !!


The Manchester Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...