Just wondering if you have long term tenants in a property and the EPC will be 10 years old in March 2018. Do you have get another one done or wait till they leave and then get a new one. As was thinking they have to be renewed every 10 years? 

Thanks

Helen 

Hi Helen

EPC's are valid for 10 years. You'll only need a new EPC after that date if you market your property or your current tenants sign a new tenancy agreement as this is effectively a new tenancy.

There are new minimum energy standards for rented properties which are worth being aware of. From 1st April 2018 if your property is an F or G rating you will not be able to legally let it unless there is an applicable exemption (listed buildings etc).

Here is a link with more info:

http://www.lincolnlandlordservices.com/epc.html

Hope this helps

Paul 

Helen

It has been a legal requirement to have an EPC if you are renting a property since 2008 and it is now also a requirement to have an EPC to be able to serve a Section 21 notice and so I would get one done in the new year. As Paul states above the law is tightening in that if your last assessment was F or G rated you will not be able to start a new tenancy agreement after 1 Apr 18  until you have had upgrades to your property's energy rating to bring it up to a minimum E rating and a new certificate registered. However, what he did not add is that if your EPC rating is F or G and you do nothing it will be illegal to continue an existing tenancy after 1 April 2020 and so your long term tenants would either have to move or you will have to upgrade the property with them in situ of face the potential of a £5000 fine.  It is also worth noting that this steps up again in 2025 from minimum E to D and it has also been proposed to do the same again in 2030 from D to C!  Therefore if you are having work done it may be cost effective to make the improvements more effective by doing more than the minimum.

With regards to ensuring your tenants have a copy of your current EPC, councils often ask tenants for the copies their landlord gave them as they turn down Notices to Quit if the property is not properly certificated

Thanks Paul and Tim for your replies.

The current ECP Is E rating which my tenants do have a copy which was in 2015.  Since that ECP was done I have installed a new combi boiler, and rads have LED lighting throughout the house, new shower room. So I have done already a lot of improvements. So even if the tenants are long term and you are not going to give them a new rent agreement do you still have to supply a new ECP? 

Thanks again for your advice. 

Hi All further to the original query, my properties were purchased within the last 3 years.All properties require an EPC for sale - correct?

I cant seem to find mine in my paperwork, at which stage should they have been given to me?

54 minutes ago, dil rai said:

Thanks for that link - my properties do not appear - i searched using postcode. 

Is this a failing by the solicitors who i completed the purchase through? should they have not ensured this was include in the sale? 

It could be that the EPC's have now expired (over 10 years old) and are no longer on the system.

4 hours ago, x3hph said:

Thanks Paul and Tim for your replies.

The current ECP Is E rating which my tenants do have a copy which was in 2015.  Since that ECP was done I have installed a new combi boiler, and rads have LED lighting throughout the house, new shower room. So I have done already a lot of improvements. So even if the tenants are long term and you are not going to give them a new rent agreement do you still have to supply a new ECP? 

Thanks again for your advice. 

In this instance there is no requirement to supply a new EPC even though improvements have been made.