Jump to content

Block Buildings Insurance v Landlord Insurance

Recommended Posts

Hi all


I have an apartment that is rented out in Edinburgh and the block is factored by Charles White which includes BBI. I had a look at their BBI policy and it seems to cover a lot including contents (which was surprising) although unsure if I am reading it wrong. It says 'communal contents' and 'landlords contents', as well as buildings cover. Does anyone know whether their BBI is sufficient, or whether I still need Landlords Insurance? I am a bit confused!


Thank you in advance.

Link to post
  • 4 months later...

Hi Maria


You'll need to read the policy and decide whether it is up to scratch for you. 


The problem is you cannot buy buildings insurance for a property you lease. 


Hope this helps.

Jason McClean

The Property Insurer







The Property Insurer has one aim only – to be the leading specialist price comparison insurance website in the UK, providing the very best and most appropriate property insurance cover at the keenest price.


That’s our aim and we are not a big conglomerate that has hungry shareholders, we are a small company that is taking a long term sustainable approach to business that we think is responsible and will work for everyone we deal with, whether broker, insurer or customer.
Not being a conglomerate is a good thing for us all as we do not have huge overheads or costs to cover – that means lower cost of insurance for you.
Any comments or suggestions are gratefully received, please send to Jason@thepropertyinsurer.co.uk. Jason is a Director so when you get through to him, you can be sure you are speaking with someone who wants to listen and will do so very carefully.
Link to post

Hi Maria,


I own a flat in Edinburgh that I rent out as well. The property was originally my main residence so when I moved out I quizzed the factors about whether the buildings insurance through them would still cover me when the property is let, and they assured me it would.


I am not sure if this is the case with every factor so I would suggest contacting Charles White directly to check the existing insurance is adequate.


One thing you won't be covered for is public liability, as this is specific to a Landlord's insurance policy. It is a good idea to have this in place to protect you against any claims made by tenants for personal injury or damage to possessions arising from incidents connected to your property.


If the existing buildings cover is adequate, you could just take out a Landlord's contents policy, which would include the public liability cover.




Link to post


On a similar note - I'm based in Scotland and just bought a flat that is factored.  The insurance costs the factor company  have billed me for are double what I've been quoted for the property I bought.  I'm wondering if I am under any obligation to pay into and use the factors insurance policy rather than my own.  Am guessing I probably have to just put up with it but would appreciate clarification from anyone who has dealt with a similar issue.


I get very irritated when these property management companies, on top of charging for their service, then charge well over the going rate for things such as insurance or repairs etc. 


Many thanks - Steve 

Link to post

Hi all


I ended up buying landlords insurance. After getting clarification eventually, they said that if you turned the flat upside down, it's everything that's fixed that is included. For example, kitchen fittings, bathroom suites etc. However, contents isn't included, eg that if there was a leak and your furniture was destroyed. 


Also, as Richard said, public liability is also not included. Therefore for peace of mind I brought landlord insurance too. 


Thank you for your help! 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...